We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
19 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

I have been using TA ever since I remember and reviewing since 2009 (Im a Top Contributor) and this is the first time I doubt its authenticity and level of trustability.

I wrote a totally honest review (swear in the name of God) for a so-called Hotel in Anuradhapura in early August and I am very sure that it has been published. Now in late September, I noticed that the review has been removed. I know that TA have the right to remove any post for any reason but somehow I strongly suspected that it has to do with the owner of the property because it is not a positive review that they would expect.

I am just telling my feeling and experiences so that other travellers could take note of. Isn't that the main objective of the TA? I tried to stay objective and real to my own thoughs at the same time following the TA guidelines. How could TA allow property owner to interfere with our sincere review here? How could an honest review been removed without the knowledge of the reviewer?

I urge Trip Advisor to give all our sincere reviewers and real users here an explaination of why a genuine, true nothing but the truth review will published, then removed SILENTLY. Simply because it is negative? Or it has been reported inappropriate?

Such thing could really ruin the reputation of TA in a long run. I doubt if I should really continue using it.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

Did you ask TA? I believe you do that through the Help Center, but I'm not on a real computer so I can't get the link for you.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
19 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

The 'contact us' sidebar is not helpful. It directs me to choose at least before I can proceed, with no option for 'other'. So the closest one will be 'status of my review', but my review has been removed! Please suggest alternative way. Thanks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,513 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

www.TripAdvisor.com/UserReviewSupport

Status of My Review is the one you want, and then "Not Listed". The status is that it has been removed and you'd like to know why. There are lots of possible reasons, and TA_Staff will be able to tell you what has happened.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

Owners can't remove negative reviews. TA will only remove a review if it violates review guidelines.

You have likely not replied to a verification email in a timely manner.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,213 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

If TA did remove reviews merely on the grounds that an owner was not happy, there would be very few, if any, negative reviews left on the site. There are many other reasons for reviews to disappear, apart from it all being a conspiracy.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,388 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

Hi toymakerlt;

Here are the three main reasons why a review is deleted;

1. The business is under new ownership and the new owners have asked TripAdvisor to remove the previous reviews relating to the old management. For more information about TripAdvisor's policy, visit this Help Centre page;

tripadvisor.com/help/report_your_new_ownersh…

2. TA sent you an email to confirm / re-confirm your review. You have to click on a link in the email. If you don't click the link in the email, or don’t reply within a certain timeframe, the review will be deleted.

Ensure that your current email address is correct on your TA profile and that no mail from TA has been caught up in a spam folder in your email system.

3. Your review violated TripAdvisor’s guidelines.

tripadvisor.com/help/our_guidelines_for_trav…

The most likely cause would be #2 or #3.

Best Regards

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
19 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

Thanks Pacific. Oversee the 'not listed'. Wrote to them, let's see :)

RescueTeam and Hans, I've never received any kind of verification email all this while, for all my reviews!

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
19 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

RojBlake,

The reason I suspect that it has to do with the owner (or mananger?) is because he cant stress enough that I could write a review for them on TA. Clearly, he is well aware of TA and its significance. Maybe yes maybe no, after all, it's just suspicion.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,213 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

>>>The reason I suspect that it has to do with the owner (or mananger?) is because he cant stress enough that I could write a review for them on TA. Clearly, he is well aware of TA and its significance. Maybe yes maybe no, after all, it's just suspicion.<<<

An owner is clearly more likely to report a negative review for being in breach of guidelines than they will a more positive one. But anyone can report a review, not just an owner. Neither you nor anyone else will know what guidelines, if any, were breached, and it's also possible, if I understand these things, that the review is being looked at by a member of staff and may be reinstated.

But it's simply not possible for an owner to say that they don't like a particular review and want it removed. Well, they could say it, but it wouldn't be taken down as a result! As you said in your first post, if it did work like that the reputation of the site would be irretrievably destroyed, no one would contribute and TA as a business would ultimately cease to exist.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Review published then removed? How genuine is TA?

I am not impressed with Trip Advisor at the moment reasons I keep putting up honest reviews on The Dolphin pub and they tell me its fraud,I don,t understand why Trip advisor would take my reviews off when they are totally ligitamiteand maybe you should investigate.It make me angry see no faces on there reviews so we know its staff that are writing them.It is all one way with Trip Advisor,there is not point in having a Trip advisor if we cannot put our honest views in a review.