We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

USA
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

Take your time. Please finish the improvements before 2015. Thanks.

Notify reviewers when a management response has been added to their review.

Notify reviewers when a review is deleted as inappropriate. Include a copy of the review.

Notify reviewers when a review is deleted because a property is remodeled or closed.

Notify members when a photo is deleted.

Include the name of the establishment in your “Thank you for your photos” email.

Include the name of the establishment in your “Thank you for your latest review” email.

Send a “Thank you for your new listing request” email with the establishment's name.

Send a “Thank you for your listing correction request” email with the establishment's name.

Increase the number of forum posts per page to 100 or so.

Increase the number of forum threads per page to 100 or so.

Increase the number of properties per page to 100 or so.

Eliminate the popup menu on the “All” forum link. Take me directly to the full list.

Eliminate the popup menu on the “Help Center” link. Take me directly to the help center.

Identify owner members as such.

Get rid of the Reply button in every post.

Add forum posts to the popup menu at Your TripAdvisor.

Add property addresses to names to prevent misidentification of similarly named properties.

Eliminate Photos from Around the World.

Do not label VFM Leonardo, Inc photos as traveler photos.

Do not label management photos as traveler photos.

Widen forum posts and make them shorter so more fit on the screen.

Take me to a list of the member's reviews when I click on his name in his review.

Provide a prominent link to all recent reviews on a city's page.

Flag attractions that are reported as closed until their status is ascertained.

Show the first line of a forum post as you mouse over the thread title.

Show forum posts in my time zone.

Eliminate the auto-links in forum posts.

Get rid of the solo, couples, family, etc categories for reviews or make them optional.

Speed up the listing correction process.

Lock the flashing “Save this post” forum button in place.

Get rid of reviews credited to A TripAdvisor Member or Facebook member or provide their TripAdvisor name.

Provide a map of all 5 star attractions.

Let members remove their own reviews immediately.

Make Date the default forum search by method instead of Relevance.

Show the entire photo description or else shorten the submission length allowed.

Make it possible to delete photos after uploading without writing a review but before final submission.

Make all TripAdvisor links right clickable.

Thanks again.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

I'll agree with all of the above list, but you have only scratched the surface of the list of things that need to be done! :-(

I've often thought about writing down my 101 top improvements list but have equally often thought 'why bother' no one at TA cares any more.

Just a few more.

- Reorganize Menu bar to include prominent links to useful pages including Forums, Travel Guide and Help centre, Merge Hotels and Holiday Rental into Accommodation, Demote Trending, Friends, Flights, Best of 2013 to More

- Pro-actively ensure every listing is assigned to correct town and has an accurate map pin

- Provide 'Additional details' box on New listing and Update listing request.

- Provide 'Update details' on Hotel listings

- Improve detection of duplicate listing that differ just in minor details (eg extra THE in name)

- Provide drag and drop tool for correcting incorrect map pins

- Disambiguate towns of same name in travel map

- Disambiguate listing of same name in search suggestions box

- Provide connections between multiple listings at same address (Hotel, Restaurants, Spas etc)

- Restore easy subscribe RSS links for Forums and Listings

- Restore usable map search for hotels

- 'First unread post' link for forums

- Save button for individual reviews

- Search should work more like Google

- Prioritise recent hits in search results

- Search results should show actual posts with hits

- A usable Saved trips function similar to that provided by PlanApple and Travellers point

- A usable User profile - see multiple suggestions in the other thread

- Remove redundant clutter from web pages 'Explore the world!' et al

- consistent look and feel across website

- eliminate all use of pop ups, pop unders

- Simplicity and ease of use should key design considerations throughout,

- Improved functionality and consistency with full site for mobile apps

USA
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

Mine first, mymsman! Yours is an excellent list. Give them until June, 2015 to complete it.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
51,004 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

I love those lists and fully agree that these improvements would be beneficial to this site. Most of them should have been put into place already.

And what is the point of the 'Reply' button?

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

nice list...some more....for 2016....

Please REMOVE the useless Ratings menu/items

Please roll back the user page, now it's a never ending list of photos...

Please KILL the Reply button.

Make localized maps, how can I find a pizza in Saigon if I just get a 800 restaurant list everywhere? OK, i will use Google map that know where I am, it has lot's of listings with reviews and can point to me a pizzeria close by. I see problems coming for TA when all the listings will be in Google map....6 more month?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,067 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

Wait, wait, one more, please !.......

Only list restaurants, hotel, attractions that actually have reviews.....

Case in point, looking for a particular restaurant in Las Vegas, did an alpha sort, but since it was near the end of the alphabet, I chose the end button......good grief, I had to back tract through 22 pages of listings, just that listings of mostly repeated fast food places before giving up entirely.......why add them, just to add them, no descriptions, no reviews, just lists.....what's the point.....

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,579 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

Many people won't review unlisted restaurants. Requesting a listing adds a step to the whole process, and that's enough to discourage people from writing a review. When you add in the various hiccups in the listing request process (long delays at times, often no notification of new listings, sometimes listing requests seem to vanish without trace, listings rejected with unhelpful form-letter emails), then having restaurants and other listings without reviews is the lesser of two evils.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

>having restaurants and other listings without reviews is the lesser of two evils.

Providing:

- They are listed in the correct town

- They don't duplicate existing entries

- They are valid currently open restaurants

Many of the listings TA has been mass adding in the UK fail on all of these grounds and once again TA is relying on the goodwill of its members to clean up the mess after the fact rather than performing basic validation before it adds listings. See tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k68650…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

>> Only list restaurants, hotel, attractions that actually have reviews..... <<

Must disagree with that one.

100 posts / threads / properties on each page? No thanks! Not for me. Twenty per page might be better, but not 100.

Hmmm, in reading the lists more carefully there are quite a few I disagree with, so won't go into all the details. But there you have it - you above think all of that should be changed, whereas I and maybe some others don't feel that way at all.

You can't please all the people all the time!

==> I completely agree with the comments about the photos though :-)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

> 100 posts / threads / properties on each page? No thanks! Not for me.

Ideally the number per page should be a user option remembered between sessions , many shopping sites offer an option to specify how many items to show per page.

TA could even eliminate page breaks and automatically load more content as you scroll down the page however where TA has attempted this on the new user profile page and Trending they have done it so poorly that I hesitate to suggest it for anything as important as the forums

Flint, mi
Level Contributor
759 posts
1,170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My TripAdvisor improvement wish list.

Wow!!! My phone list of restaurants per page just jumped from 20 listings per page to 50 listings per page. I'm SOOO happy about this finally happening. I like the idea of listing all of the locations without reviews, so that eventually, hopefully, reviews will start flowing (it's too cumbersome for the casual TA user to wait for new properties to be listed).