We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

Auburn, AL
Level Contributor
261 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

After trying and failing to reason with the one-and-dunners, I have learned to skip the rant posts, but these days they are all over the place on TripAdvisor. Some seem to have a legitimate grievance, while others just cannot let go and move on. Still, there should be a way to automatically redirect these posts to a single forum where these unhappy folks can rant at each other to their heart's content. Kind of like Fox News or MSNBC for travelers with a grudge. Happy travels!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,669 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

Yes it's called the Bargain Travel forum - just kidding.

Whilst that may seem like a good idea to collectively 'dump' these complaints, many are legitimate and is needed in the relevant destination forum, as a point of reference. It's not always just for frequent users of the forums, there are many casual readers who may read but not write.

And whilst we don't always want to go through lengthy explanations, it doesn't help the travel community or do the various industry any favours - unless it's explained, so they have a better understanding for next time.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 17:58
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

I agree with the above poster that such threads are best left on the relevant forum

Auburn, AL
Level Contributor
261 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

I don't know if this post will be allowed to stand, but what troubles me about so many of the rants is my own uncertainty about how many posters are truly one-timers with a legitimate grievance and how many are multiple identities of a handful of people. How does TripAdvisor prevent the latter?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

If you think a person has more than one identity you can report them and TA will investigate

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,268 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

That we cannot know. You've got the answer to skip the rants. I only wish that the regular forum posters would stop thriving on leaving a string of rants back at the OP. Usually: no one to blame but yourself, you didn't read the T and Cs, how can something X did have to do with Y. You have learned that silence is golden.

However, if you feel a thread has gone feral and is out of control, it is possible to report it to TA staff through the Help Centre.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

One question if I may. Is it possible that people with legitimate experiences, both good and bad, join a site like TA as a result of the experience itself without any intention of becoming a "regular"? In other words, are there members out there that were simply going about their lives never caring to write reviews or post on travel forums until they had some specific experience that compelled them to say something on a travel information site?

Many "regulars", myself included, have often said that we post for the good of the travel community or to "give back" to the site that helped us plan a vacation. There is truth in that, but it isn't the whole story. I've written reviews (within TA guidelines, of course) for each of the following reasons. I thought it would be fun. I wanted to put in a good word for a local place that I'd been eating at for a while. I wanted to offset some reviews that I thought were way off base. I was watching "Man v. Food" once and thought I could describe a restaurant at least as well as Adam Richman. I wanted to prove once and for all that "mom & pop" motels can go toe to toe with their more expensive big chain counterparts. It's kinda fun. It wasn't until a number of reviews later that I added "giving back" as a regular contributor to my schitzophrenic list of motivators.

There is a point to all this, believe it or not. I think sometimes "regulars" can be a bit dismissive of members who've not paid their dues, so to speak. It sometimes gets to the point where it seems that you can't have a valid opinion on anything travel related unless you spend hours writing dozens of reviews and/or post 50,000 times in the forums. While some posts are rants (from regulars as well as new members), to say that any [new] member with a complaint should be relegated to a separate forum is like, well, TA allowing you to filter out reviews by folks with less than 10.

What's the solution? It's already been stated. Take a thoughtful approach to reading posts and discern for yourself which ones are legitimate and which ones are purely emotional rants. In the mean time, let's allow members to post freely and have an equal shot at being heard.

Edited: 15 October 2013, 01:31
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

>> to say that any [new] member with a complaint should be relegated to a separate forum is like, well, TA allowing you to filter out reviews by folks with less than 10.<<

Or less than . . . 30 ;-)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

Follow up suggestion: people not be permitted to post their own rant until they have replied (sympathetically) to three other rant posts.

It may take a while for this kinda forum to gain momentum, but it also could become self-sustaining - a bit like Conway's Game of Life.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

http://xkcd.com/386/

Just step away.

10. Re: How about a site just for Don't Book/Don't Use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:18