We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Trending Now"

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,247 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
"Trending Now"

Maybe I'm slow to notice stuff, but I see a new tab on the Green Bar on destination pages titled "Trending Now" with an orange number superimposed. A click brings up the same-old same-old destinations.

But my question is, if we can have a "Trending Now" tab, how about a "Forums" tab?

Luigi

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Trending Now"

I like the idea. I really think the foums could be a major selling point for TA. They're easier to find than they used to be, but I'd like the forums to be one of the first things you see on the home page.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 23:54
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Trending Now"

The opening page of "Trending Now" displays hotels and attractions - I'm guessing - that were reviewed recently? Just now, it displayed a few properties and attractions that didn't rate so well. I wonder if that would compound a negative pre-conception for those places.

I do like the Forums tab idea.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,616 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Trending Now"

Blehhhh. I can feel a rainbow yawn coming on. A forums button would be so nice. Can't see a trending now button on my version. Yes!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Trending Now"

It would be very nice.

I think EC has a point about TA underselling the forums. They really should pitch it along the lines of 'talk to fellow travellers' type thing. Because at present, the great chunk of people who don't use TA believe it's 'just' a review site.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,806 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Trending Now"

The DEs here will be able to tell you just how many times and for how long they and others on HUMTAB have begged TA to introduce a forums button, with nothing to show for it but red knees.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,247 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Trending Now"

"with nothing to show for it but red knees" .... and a Trending Now button. :)

Too true, CreakingBones, but that's no reason to remain silent. :)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,952 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Trending Now"

Personally I don't see the point of having a Trending Now button. I just wonder how many people will use it on a regular basis. I certainly won't for one.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,389 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Trending Now"

The trending now feature has been there for a few months now and after I had an initial look I have never used it again

Another vote for the Forum Tab!!!!!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Trending Now"

If I remember correctly the 'Trending now' was launched to great acclaim earlier in the year sometime before Snippets and the new User profile/Travel map. :¬)

I can't find the forum discussions from the time and it is possible that my memory is fading and the discussion was more along the lines that it was another unwanted, useless addition to TA! :-)

You possibly haven't noticed Trending before because only sufficiently trendy places get the tab. Most of Australia, apart from Sydney, seems to have escaped, but those that aren't trending get the equally vital 'Your Facebook friends' tab. Which raises the question are visitors to trending destinations assumed to be friendless?

As I suggested in a recent Wish list thread with a little reorganisation there would be more than enough room in the tab bar for both Forums and Help Centre links

- Reorganize Menu bar to include prominent links to useful pages including Forums, Travel Guide and Help centre. Merge Hotels and Holiday Rental into an Accommodation tab, Demote Trending, Friends, Flights, Best of 2013 to the More tab

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Trending Now"

When introduced it was called Live Stream and the consensus was the same... Why this useless hodge podge when there is supposed to be no room for a Forums tab..

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k6517980-…

Not sure when the name changed but it is not on all destinations...

Raquel