We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

Arrrgh! Fooled again into answering a question long after the OP has come and gone on their trip! This seems to happen ALL the time on the Hawai'i forums. And I'll bet it happens on all of the very active destination forums.

Someone who is not so familiar with how TA forums work best will do a search and tack on their question to an old post. It brings up the old post and then people mistakenly answer the OP's question even though their trip is long past.

I know we can and should look at the original post date after we go to the topic, but we don't always. Especially now that you can jump directly to the last post, it gets confusing.

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea to lobby TA to put the date of the original post in the tread list???

It could go next to the OP's username. I love that you can now go to the last posting in a thread and see when that was posted. Why not the date of the original posting too???

Is this forum the best way to communicate with TA on issues like this or are there better ways?

If any of the rest of you agree with me (or don't) I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

Teri

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,550 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

Hi Teri

What I have found with many of these long running threads is although the OP's question may have been answered long ago others have found the thread by searching and may have added an additional question or a variant of the original

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

Flip flop man, yes, that's how it happens, but many of us find that to be quite confusing. People are not sure which question they're answering. It's not so much the "long running threads" as the old threads that are ressurected after someone searches the topic.

On the Hawaii forums, when a regular notices a newbie tacking their new question onto an old thread, they will often politely explain that they will get a better response if they start their own thread. But very often we don't notice. And then some smarty pants will come along and say, hey all you silly people, that OP has already come and gone and there you are asking them how old their children are or whatever! :-)

Unless there is some real problem with programming the site that way, it seems like having the original date would only be helpful. And IMHO it would "Help Us Make Trip Advisor Better."

Edited: 25 October 2013, 18:23
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

I'm with Teri. It would be helpful if we could determine that the thread is ancient when we view the list of threads.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

Thanks almostgrownup!!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,783 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

Teri, although I agree with you and think it's a good idea, this isn't anything new. This topic comes up here a couple of times a year. Sad to say nothing has ever come of it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k5302613…

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

Thanks msfuzz! I saw that thread and almost included the link. But that was the only one I found and not many people seemed to care. I'm guessing it's more of an issue with the very active forums. So I hoped maybe if lots of us Hawai'i regulars let TA know what we think, they might listen???

Or is there a better way to get the attention of the powers that be?

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

+1 there is so much space on the new list view........

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,783 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

I found others Teri but it's really of no consequence!! Hope something comes of it. AFAIK there is no other place or "powers that be" to help get this done.

We've had great ideas come and go from this forum. A few have been implemented. The vast majority have not.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,550 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

They do seem to concentrate more on implementing their "own ideas"

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can date of original post be added to the list of topics????

Well, let's hope some others chime in and the Great and Powerful TA may respond. :-)

And thanks Maurizio!

Edited: 25 October 2013, 20:30