We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Agent/Agency Forum

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Agent/Agency Forum

I think this would be really helpful. In particular travel agencies to avoid. I haven't found any site specifically for this purpose. TA seems like the logical place. I tried to do due diligence last year and never found anything negative on the travel agency, and they totally burned me. I want to save others from what I went through.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,706 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Agent/Agency Forum

Hi Kathy ~

This has been suggested quite a few times over the years but TA Staff have never implemented the suggestion. As they have had years to do so, it is unlikely they will add it in now.

My own personal opinion for not adding a TA Forum is because of what you mention. People would post all their negative reviews as they are angry and "want to save others." There would likely be very few positive reviews because when we have a good experience: flight, car rental, travel agency we take it for granted and simply move on. So the forum would unfold in an unbalanced way. JMO.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Agent/Agency Forum

Absolutely agree with MMm.

When things go well, people are more interested in writing about the end product, not how they got there. Even talking with family and friends after travel, travel agents rarely gets a mention unless they themselves are ready to plan for a holiday. The only time anything good is written, is usually in response to someone else's complaint.

In the mean time, you may wish to look through the Bargain Travel forum for an eclectic mix of feedback about travellers experiences with various travel agents.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Agent/Agency Forum

Hmmm... interesting viewpoints, I never thought of it that way. Because this particular "travel agency" "specializes" in travel to the Olympic games (note the quotes - these people are a joke), I will post it to the Olympics forum starting next year and bump it up once a month. Best I can do for now! Thank you both for your input.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Agent/Agency Forum

Hi Kathy,

Just in regards to your purpose, I completely understand where you're coming from. As its so often an unregulated/self regulated industry, you'll always find unscrupulous operators in constant breach of practice standards. This unfortunately applies across every conceivable component of the travel industry.

Just small hint. if you're intending to pass on your experience for the benefit of the travelling community, be sure it's kept as factual as possible, and refrain from using 'derogatory' terms to describe the agent. Words such as 'scam', 'fraud' 'avoid' and phrases such as 'never use' are often found in rant threads/posts, and summarily dismissed or ignored. Alternatives such as 'strongly advise not to...' or 'recommend against' are much better received. In addition, try and balance the focus for ones need to do their homework, to ensure at the very least, consumers search for travel agents who are registered with recognised industry bodies such as ASTA, IATA and so forth.

Good luck.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 04:17
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,706 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Agent/Agency Forum

Kathy, your idea to post on the Olympics Forum is a good one, with qualifiers. You can post your experience in a forum, no problem there. But you need to make your post very reasoned and measured. And not too long. Just the facts, ma'am. Only then will your "report" be seen by others on the forum as "acceptable." My fear is that if you go overboard, members on the Olympics Forum will report your post as inappropriate. As in.... this poster has come in out of right field, flamed a company, written a rant, half of it in capital letters. Bye bye. So just a heads up there.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Agent/Agency Forum

Great minds...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Agent/Agency Forum

Thanks for the warning! :)

8. Re: Travel Agent/Agency Forum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 14:29
9. Re: Travel Agent/Agency Forum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 14:29
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Agent/Agency Forum

ahmet;

Your posts violate TripAdvisor's posting guidelines regarding self-promotional advertising or solicitation, and have been reported as inappropriate.

tripadvisor.com/help/Can_I_sell_or_promote_s…