We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"One destination mentioned in this post "

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Topic
"One destination mentioned in this post "

Ok the new blurb that will end up being in every post that mentions some destination is a waste of space and does not enhance my TA experience.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 12:33
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,823 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "One destination mentioned in this post "

I have not seen this. Maybe because I have "ad blocker" on my browser.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,630 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "One destination mentioned in this post "

I think they may be talking about the new "snippets" which I have seen now and again but my ad blocker seems to deal with the majority of them

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,732 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "One destination mentioned in this post "

They are called snippets, sssnakes_alive. Most posters HATE them!

Click here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k6786387…

and also on the link in post #1 of that link above.

Some people say the ad blocker (Firefox) helps. Some folks say the snippets are embedded and the ad blockers don't get rid of them.

Very few posters have seen them so far.

They are truly *horrible* IMO.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,844 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "One destination mentioned in this post "

I do not see them on a destination forum thread when I'm signed in. When I sign out momentarily while I'm on the forum thread, the snippets appear. Immediately signing in again and they go. I'm on an iMac and Firefox with AdBlock Plus. I don't see how AdBlock Plus would work only when I'm signed in but not when I'm signed out.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "One destination mentioned in this post "

I have seen them on http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk but not on http://www.tripadvisor.com . More noise, more distraction, more pimped up TripAdvisor.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "One destination mentioned in this post "

I have seen them popup on and off recently and agree they are a REALLY bad idea for more reasons than I can name.

One recent one I saw had been triggered by the word Toronto. What's wrong with that you ask? Well, the posting was on the San Franciso forum, but the person had made mention of their hometown or some such and the system just picked it up and ran with it.

For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone reading the SF forum would want a box about TORONTO shoved in their face.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "One destination mentioned in this post "

I detest them, too. The post at 6 incidentally gives me a snippet for Toronto - using the .co.uk forum with Firefox & AdBlockPlus!

I've seen some really daft ones - for example where a street name that has a place in it has been picked up (Liverpool Street IIRC prompted a snippet for Liverpool). As well as plain annoying they can be woefully awray.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "One destination mentioned in this post "

I've just had my first experience of them when clicking on a link which took me to a thread on the UK TA site, instead of staying on my usual .com site.

Oh, they are terrible. Distracting, pointless, ugly. Please, please tell me that it's not a shape of things to come across the different sites... Please.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "One destination mentioned in this post "

At last I've seen it.

Please take it away!

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "One destination mentioned in this post "

What on earth is the point of it?? The post already contains links highlighted to take you to the same web page as the "Destinations Mentioned" Snippet. Just another waste of space. I have only noticed it since I replaced Google Chrome with IE as my browser after I got fed up with Google automatically updating Chrome to a Beta version with a bunch of bugs. I have just rechecked using Chrome and the Snippets do not appear. I have AdBlock in both browsers, but maybe it works better in Chrome.