We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raleigh-New York fare

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Raleigh-New York fare

an B <b*****23@gmail.com>

11:00 AM (8 hours ago)

to TripAdvisor

Dear Trip Advisor,

The $32 RT fare RDU-NY is a scam, or let say a "bait and switch" setup. When trying to book a fare I've got the "sorry, the $32 fare we discovered yesterday is no more available". The problem is that I just received your mail TODAY, a couple of minutes ago and that your interactive calendar still shows the $32 fare. Like they say, "if it's too good to be truth...it's not truth"...

It is not the first time I bumped into such practices, mostly with second hand travel sites but I am surprised that a Trip "Advisor" is using them...

Happy New Year,

Dan B

Essex
Level Contributor
26,738 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raleigh-New York fare

eh?

2. Re: Raleigh-New York fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 December 2013, 16:52
Edited: 28 December 2013, 16:52
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,163 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raleigh-New York fare

Hi Dan;

TripAdvisor is NOT a booking site. Any offers that you may see on the site are offered by the company advertising them, not TripAdvisor. No different than viewing an ad in the newspaper.

Best Regards

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raleigh-New York fare

Unfortunately due to a glitch in the Delta airlines site ,many people found outrageously cheap airfares such as that one for about two hours.. Delta a removed the fares when they found the glitch which was posted for about two hours and is honoring the fares at that rate which were booked while it was up and I think they did the best they could in a difficult situation - and in my opinion it was not a bait and switch and has nothing to do with Trip Advisor.

This has been widely reported in the media and should not be a surprise to this poster.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Raleigh-New York fare

RT is absolutely correct, but with the increasing number of posts of this nature, it seems to me that this isn't something people are coming to by accident. Since I rarely pay attention to those kinds of emails, I never notice a problem. However, since you can book while on the TA site (obviously through a third-party) I can understand the confusion.

I suggest the following:

1) TA make it crystal clear in the emails who is making these offers. It could simply be an opening line like, "A special airfare offer from TurbulentAir!"

2) TA include a disclaimer that TA neither validates the offers, nor guarantees the rate or availability.

3) TA allow customers a SIMPLE way to report bogus or misleading offers to TA staff, and follow up by preventing those companies from advertising special offers here.

4) PERHAPS eliminate the emails altogether and simply display special offers on hotel, flight, restaurant, attraction, or destination pages. Note that I've booked via the TA site before and it was quite clear on the hotel pages that you're booking through the hotel or a 3rd party site (Expedia, Orbitz, etc.)

Whether we want to believe it or admit it, the experiences one has booking via the TA site (albeit not "through" TA as a booking agency) DO reflect on TA's reputation, rightly so or not. "Guilt by association" happens, and perhaps it would be a good idea for TA to take a few steps to, if not solve the problem, distance themselves from it.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,163 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raleigh-New York fare

2) TA include a disclaimer that TA neither validates the offers, nor guarantees the rate or availability.

From the bottom of ever page...

"TripAdvisor LLC is not responsible for content on external web sites. Taxes, fees not included for deals content."

I'll agree, it isn't blatantly obvious, but it is there for all to see, however, including something similar within each email would be helpful.

Best Regards

Edited: 28 December 2013, 19:15
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,844 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raleigh-New York fare

@e_c. An excellent set of ideas to improve the 3rd party booking process, with TA obviously involved-by-data-base.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Raleigh-New York fare

I've seen that disclaimer too, RT. I think the confusion stems from the recipient seeing "TripAdvisor" as the sender and the TA logo in the email, giving it the appearance that the offer is from TA as opposed to a third-party. My thinking is that what may seem ovbious or understood by some is apparently not so obvious to others. To be clear, I have no issue with these third-party organizations advertising their deals here. I do think that it would be in TA's best interest to rethink how those deals are presented to their membership.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 22:03
9. Re: Raleigh-New York fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 05:17