We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change the Flag at Your Peril

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,794 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Change the Flag at Your Peril

Briefly today I went to the TA.com site to see whether reviews could be submitted for a holiday letting. They couldn't, but that's not the issue. The problem now is now that EVERY time I go to a TA forum on TA.com.au (my usual site) at the top of the page I get this cryptic and confusing message: "Welcome. You are visiting www.tripadvisor.com.au Continue your visit to www.tripadvisor.com Remember your choice"

However, I am not given any choice. There is nowhere to make a choice. I can go to TA.com and that's it.

OR I can click the close cross FOREVER!!!

If TA wants me to make a once-only choice on returning to TA.com.au, that would be fine, but I'm being asked repeatedly and I have no way of telling the stupid TA computer that I'm back where I want to be.

AND I DON"T WANT TO BE TOLD TO DELETE ANY BLOODY COOKIES!!!

Luigi

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,795 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change the Flag at Your Peril

tripadvisor.com/…54773189

Yep.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change the Flag at Your Peril

Yes, completely frustrating. The other day when I switched to/logged onto .ca it kept asking me if "I was sure?" even though I was going to forum pages I had bookmarked for .com. I think I finally logged out of both .com and .ca, but don't remember if I had to clear (toss?) my cookies.

Very annoying new forum 'feature.'

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,916 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change the Flag at Your Peril

That would want to make me smash my computer repeatedly.

I don't seem to have an issue switching from .au to .fr, but this does not involve hitting the flag tab, as I manually go to the French site. Or it could be that none of it applies to using a tablet.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,794 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change the Flag at Your Peril

I thought this nonsense coding might have stopped now that summer is over and TA's coders have gone back to grade school. Who dreams this stuff up?

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,542 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change the Flag at Your Peril

I saw this message at the beginning of December when I was in America so just assumed TA had matched my IP address with my username and logged me into the closest site. I returned to the UK and got the message in reverse, you are now logged into the UK do you want to use .com again I thought that made sense as I would have had a UK IP address, but yesterday I returned home (Spain) and I am still logged into .co.uk so perhaps it is nothing to do with member location and as suggested above, techies trying out their skills or lack of skills.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com/

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,991 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change the Flag at Your Peril

"AND I DON"T WANT TO BE TOLD TO DELETE ANY BLOODY COOKIES!!!"

Surely if it annoys you that much to be greeted by the "wrong" website and there is only one way to fix it, you take that fix. I can't believe you actually like being traced in everything you do so much...

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change the Flag at Your Peril

I get the box on occasion with no apparent rhyme or reason and I just ignore it along with all the other useless clutter that proliferate the site. It has been around for quite a while now.

I often have tabs for various TA sites open at the same time depending on what I was doing when I bookmarked the page.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,705 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change the Flag at Your Peril

I remember seeing a *Welcome. You are visiting . . * box and I ignored it.

I have run into problems trying to use the Help Center though. Why do we have to move between websites?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,916 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change the Flag at Your Peril

That's a good question MacKnee.

I've noticed that between moving from .au to .fr, I have to log in, yet my forum contribution from both sites tally together and visible on both sites. But interestingly enough, if I choose to not log out and try and shortcut my way back to the Australian forum by clicking on one of my previous posts, it gets redirected to the US site, not the Australian site.

Bizarre.

10. Re: Change the Flag at Your Peril

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:19