We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Consistency in design... Request

Texas
Level Contributor
577 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Consistency in design... Request

Any chance TA will consider making the button on upper left (iPhone app) to be "back" instead of going to the destination home? The lack of consistency with the iPhone and iPad back buttons is annoying at best when I am browsing forums... I find myself going all the way to destination home page rather than back to the forum from a thread.

Anyone else finding this to be a problem???

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Consistency in design... Request

It's not like there isnt a back button at all - it's right there on the bottom left of the screen.

Home goes home and back goes back - as far as consistency goes those terms have meant the same thing for the two decades I have been online.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 12:51
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Consistency in design... Request

Not sure about the iPhone/pad/pod app, but I've noticed changes with Android as well. The phone's back button works as a back button,but the upper left corner of the app no longer functions this way. It takes me all the way back to the start screen. Also, it used to be that while navigating forums, there was a "forum" link at the upper left which took you back to the forum home, but now does nothing. It's not the hardest thing to work around, but it would be cool if the functionality would remain consistent.

Texas
Level Contributor
577 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Consistency in design... Request

Glad you understand what I am saying, "exterior_" -- you said it better than I did in my haste! Yes, "Perfectly…", there IS a back button, but on the iPad app, the upper left button takes you back a page rather than back to the TA start screen which is frustrating when you are a creature of habit and used to the other app.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Consistency in design... Request

Ahhhh I see. Just a matter of retraining the finger then :)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Consistency in design... Request

Apple, Android, Microsoft and others publish User Interface design guidelines for application developers so that users can go from one app to another and have a reasonably good idea how a new app will behave without an extensive learning exercise.

e.g. https:/…index.html

TA apps and web pages are frequently not consistent within themselves let alone with other apps!

Deviations from the guidelines are OK when it makes good sense but shouldn't occur just because some developer wants to do something different.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Consistency in design... Request

That's how I see it, Mymsman. I've never been of the, "I have to have this button right here or my face will explode" mindset. Yet, when you update an app, get used to its nuances, then find that the next update changes the functionality without warning, it can be a bit irritating.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Consistency in design... Request

I have no back button anywhere on my trip advisor iPad app! It is incredibly frustrating.

8. Re: Consistency in design... Request

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:15