We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Format Breadcrumbs..

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Topic
New Format Breadcrumbs..

..on the green bar at the top are not easy to spot! Don't like it.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: New Format Breadcrumbs..

Mymsman:

Thanks for that. I just have to sit back and wait for a PM now.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: New Format Breadcrumbs..

Good news. It worked. The other piece of good news is that the size of the 'Tending' notification stays the same, that does not increase like the PM notification does.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: New Format Breadcrumbs..

Hoogo,

I agree with you and dont feel PMs always need to be treated as urgent but since others are concerned about the notification size I thought I would show there was a way around the issue without depending on TA doing something.

The same technique could also be used to shrink or hide the Reply button in forum posts and I might look at reducing the impact of the new hotel comparison bar (just need more time to play)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: New Format Breadcrumbs..

Hoogo,

One of the matters I deal with by PMs now are related to the protests in downtown Kyiv that put some barriers to getting around downtown. Travellers arriving to Kyiv shortly send me their addresses to ask about transportation or safety etc. It’s completely understandable when they don’t want to post their addressed or other personal details in the web.

Since they are about to arrive shortly, I for one consider this urgent, especially given that there are no other Kyiv DEs and no other people who regularly check the city to be able to update based on personal experience not rumours or google.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: New Format Breadcrumbs..

And once again.

Each DE has their own understanding of “commitment”. Unlike some others I’m not trying to impose my way as the only right one. But I stick to it, and as long as TA changes don’t help me in my regular contributions I feel completely entitled to let TA know about it. And this forum is precisely for suggestions on how to make *TA better*. Not how we should “improve” our TA browsing habits (there's the Support forum for this).

Edited: 03 February 2014, 08:35
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: New Format Breadcrumbs..

Mymsman::

My PM notification has reverted back to the normal size now I have checked everything and the TA NewMessage style is still ticked. Any ideas?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: New Format Breadcrumbs..

Try replacing the style with

.fall_2013_masthead_refresh .header_refresh #USER_PREFS li .link .newMessages:before { content: "Messages: "; width: 7em;}

.fall_2013_masthead_refresh .header_refresh #USER_PREFS li .link .newMessages {top:-0.3em; font-size: inherit; width: 7em; }

Which should give you "Messages: 1" rather than just a huge number

It is not clear with the line wrapping but it should be two lines that start .fall_2013...

Edited: 21 June 2014, 15:21
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: New Format Breadcrumbs..

OK. Many thanks, I'll see how it works when I receive my next PM.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,013 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: New Format Breadcrumbs..

It seems the PM notification adaptation has disappeared again, returning to the small orange square with the small number within it. Sob! Is this the same for everyone else? Could we call on mymsman to have a look at his convenience?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
98,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: New Format Breadcrumbs..

MuftiVancouver:

That's true. I tried Mymsman later suggestion but it didn't increase the size of the font, just changed it to 'Messages' with only 'Me' showing, so I deleted that and now have to manage with how it was originally.