We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get creditability.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
How to get creditability.

Any one can leave a review on tripadvisor, even if you have not been to the hotel or restaurant. Now that's wrong.

Now this is what i would to to stop malicious and un true reports.

On the receipt from hotel / restaurant there needs to be a pin number which can only be used once... When keyed into trip-advisor that number brings up your details, like the day of visit, where you stayed and what you had to eat that day.

Then it tick boxes for quality, cleanness, value, services and so on. A bit like you have now but more detailed..If there is a problem with a business a report box with a yes or no button. Which is on screen for people to see. Then they can make up there own minds if the review is true or not.

With a final box for any other comments. no more than 50 characters. keeping it short and brief and to the point.

To HELP pay for these changes a very small charge could be made of $2.00 to all hotels and restaurants and who are on trip advisor site. Being a very small charge most business would pay as it's a small amount and the feedback is from honest customers who have visited your establishment / business.

UNTIL this happens tripadvisor can no be taken seriously..

All your review relay on honesty and to day people are not honest.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get creditability.

Schemes like this have been discussed many times in the past and do not solve many of the problems and would not work worldwide.

I suggest you search this forum for some of the previous ideas to see all the problems such a scheme would involve

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get creditability.

"All your review rely on honesty and today people are not honest"

Does this mean we should disregard your reviews

You must appreciate that TA gets in excess of 11,000 reviews each day and to implement such a scheme would not be practical

Is TA perfect = No

Does it work overall = Yes

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get creditability.

I reckon if I always booked my accommodation based solely on TA reviews then I think I'd be a very disappointed and disillusioned traveller.

Having to read between the lines in mind numbing at times.

I think people should be banned from commenting on hotels, restaurants , and attraction unless they've had first hand knowledge and posted a credible review.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,324 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get creditability.

Could we expand on 'credible'?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get creditability.

ans also "first hand" as a reviewer does not have to have stayed at a property to write a review of it as TA allows people to post reviews of customer service experiences

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get creditability.

HOW TO GET CREDITABILITY

Was to be sent to TripAdvisor and don't know how it's ended up here.

thanks every one.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get creditability.

Hi again Charles

If you read the Sticky at the top of this forum you will see it is a public forum where all users can post suggestion and others can comment

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k30711…

Edited: 31 January 2014, 11:43
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,273 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get creditability.

While it's here, I'll point out that some properties don't even know they're listed. Credibility aside, I'm sure even a nominal fee would irritate owners, even if just on principle.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 11:49
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get creditability.

From the Link @ #7<<<Please note that while we read all of the feedback posted here, we usually do not comment on ideas or answer questions on this forum.>>>

Q. Who has the authority and ability to delete postings?

A. TA Mods only. So surely they ARE contributing by inserting gaps or cutting threads short in mid-stream!

As I've earlier today been as good as been accused of being childish, I think that certain people find the 'Report inappropriate content' too irresistible at times, which in my book is extremely childish just because they don't personally agree with the content of a posting. That in itself doesn't make a posting inappropriate!

Edited: 31 January 2014, 12:23
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get creditability.

LL

Please see below two extracts from the Help Centre a link to which can be found at the bottom of each page

How do I report an inappropriate forum post?

TripAdvisor Support - October 22, 2013 02:06

All posts on the TripAdvisor forums are the responsibility of the travelers who posted them. We rely on our members to let us know when a post is inappropriate. If you feel a post does not meet our guidelines, please report it by clicking the Report inappropriate content link found within the post. Each such report counts toward the removal of the offending post and will be reviewed by a moderator, who may need to research the situation in greater depth. If a discussion is getting out of hand or you need to discuss your concerns in greater detail, please email us and provide a link to the discussion of concern if applicable.

Why was my forum post removed?

TripAdvisor Support - November 07, 2013 16:09

A forum post may have been flagged for deletion by either our staff or the TripAdvisor community because it contained content that did not comply with our forum guidelines or was otherwise inappropriate. We reserve the right to remove any post, topic or forum on TripAdvisor for any reason. If a topic is inappropriately placed, we may move it to a different forum where it is better suited. In addition, our community of travelers can report any post as inappropriate if it does not meet our guidelines. Each such report counts toward the removal of the offending post and will be reviewed by a moderator, who will research the situation in greater depth and take necessary action.

If one of your posts is removed, we will unfortunately not be able to notify you.

If you feel that your forum post was not objectionable, it's always a good idea to first consult our guidelines and Community Mission. Once you have determined that the post in question met our guidelines, contact us with a link to the post or thread that you would like us to evaluate

As advised previously if you feel one of your posts has been incorrectly removed you need to contact TA direct as the forum is not the proper channel for doing so