We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Topic
100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

I wrote my first review of a restaurant, and kept being told that my comments had to be at least 100 characters for my review to be saved.

What a crock! I like trip advisor and would be happy to add my reviews to the businesses we use as a result of trip advisor, but... I am not going to take the additional time to add blather to a review just to meet the 100 character minimum. I like to keep my comments short and to the point, I don't need to be too wordy, and don't want to waste a lot of time writing a review that meets your minimum size requirements.

Reduce the minimum character requirement and I'll do more reviews as I use your businesses.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,419 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

You can cover 100 characters in two sentences. Say something about your experience so it's worth reading. There's no way in Arizona that 100 characters (including spaces and punctuation) requires "blathering on."

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
24,335 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

If I cafe review just had about 30 characters and only said "food OK. Had pasta and a cold drink", that does not give me much to go on to assess the place (ambiance, menu and food quality, price range, location, service). I would ignore that review and look at those that gave a bit more detail.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,585 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

Your posting here was 649 characters. Do you feel that you were blathering? Did it take a lot of effort to write such a long forum posting? Or was 649 characters necessary to make your point clearly?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,419 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

Exactly, Avanti. Simply stating your opinion means nothing to me. I want to know why, and by why, I mean the details. Why SPECIFICALLY did you or did you not like the establishment? If the food is terrible, don't just say that is terrible. Tell me it was too salty. Tell me it was overcooked. Tell me it contained road gravel. Anything. If a review contains no details, it isn't helpful to me. If it isn't helpful, I simply will not read it.

Edit: Great point, CW.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 02:02
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,591 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

100% with everyone, and very well stated indeed CW.

Reviews shouldn't resemble text speak or twitter like input. All about substance.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
24,335 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

Yes, I would hate to see a restaurant review saying the food was "gr8".

I hate text-speak.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,601 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

I'd like to see the minimum character count increased. There is no way you can write a review that is going to be useful to anyone in less than 100 characters.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,103 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

I'd also like to see the minimum increased. There simply won't be enough info for me in anything that short, and it looks as though the majority of people think the same.

So, sorry, if you can't write more than 100 characters there isn't much point in bothering to write anything at all.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

Spot on, C_W.

I posted 5 reviews over the past couple of days from a business trip. Just for grins and chuckles, I checked the word count (since I drafted them in Word before posting). Average number of characters for the five (including spaces) was 2472. The highest was 4638 for a little park that I visited and the least was 701 for a sports bar. Now, maybe my reviews are a little wordy, but I think they provide the reader with some good information.

Michele I read your review. Started out OK, but ended with some ambiguous statements such as "nice atmosphere" and "convenient location." Describe the atmosphere so that I can decide if it would be "nice" for me. And convenient to what? You see, these are the type of details that are needed to make a review useful to the reader. And you don't have to be wordy (like me), I bet another 100 characters (maybe 200) would have answered these questions and made for a much better review.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,637 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 100 character requirement for reviews discourages customers

>>I would hate to see a restaurant review saying the food was "gr8". <<

Believe it or not, TA used to contain reviews just like that, Avanti. Totally worthless. Many of us dubbed them "tweet-reviews".

Thankfully, TA staff got the message that reviews of a word or two really were *not helpful* to their readers and instituted the minimum character count. The restaurant and attraction count is still only 100 but it 's better than nothing.

I too think they all should be the same - 200 character requirement.

--

Michelle H:

Your partial sentence:

"I like to keep my comments short and to the point, I don't need to be too wordy, and don't want to w" ...

equals 100 characters.

It seems to me that you could easily use 100 characters for a restaurant review. After all, as you can see, 100 characters is about half your full sentence!

--

+1 C_W ;-)