We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My review

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
My review

Dear TripAdvisor. I´m using this web for a long time to get good information about hotels, hostels, etc... Now, for the first time, I also put my review. Unfortunately my review was not very good about one hotel in Italy, because we weren´t very satisfied with our stay in this hotel. So I put this review on your page and today my travel agency called me to ask me about my review and why I wasn´t satisfied with my stay in hotel. They told me, that the hotel owner is calling them every day and asking them to ask me to delete this review, because it is bad for them. They also told to my travel agent that they can also sue me for this review. I don´t understand how is possible that I am threatened by hotel owner through my travel agent with some legal action. I have impressed my subjective opinion for my stay in this hotel. Can you tell me, if it´s possible that I can have some legal problems because of my review? Because if yes, then servers like yours are without meaning :-( Thank you

Kind regards Petra

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My review

Hi Petra,

Welcome to the forums!

The forums are primarily member-driven; this forum is for making suggestions to improve the site itself. I'm a member like you.

To start, I'd suggest that you read the following article from the Help Center (link at the bottom of each page):

What should I do if a business owner asks me directly to remove a review?

…tripadvisor.com/articles/200614997-What-sho…

Businesses are not allowed to bully and threaten. Do you have anything in writing from the travel agent? I'd suggest you contact TA Staff to let them know what's happening. I'd suggest telling the agent to stop contacting you as they are condoning the threats and passing them along. I don't know why the travel agent doesn't tell the hotel that your review has nothing to do with the agent.

Here's how to contact TA Staff regarding this:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Reviews > Questions about guidelines (you'll get a dialogue box)

Yes, on the Support Forum we occasionally hear about threats; I suspect the vast majority are just trying to intimidate. I'm unaware of a successful lawsuit but I'm not a lawyer and can't give legal advice.

Too bad you're going through this with your first review. I'd suggest sending the link about TA not condoning threats to your travel agent.

In the future, should you have questions about using the site, please feel welcome to post on he Support Forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvis…

I hope this doesn't put you off. I've never been asked to remove a review and have done a few of them. By the way, the hotel can always post a Management Response if they want to respond to anything you've said. I suspect they've asked the travel agent to ask you to have you review removed as a way of skirting the guideline but please, do contact TA Staff anyway.

Regards,

L4

Edited: 18 February 2014, 17:35
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,743 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My review

Hi Petra and welcome to the forums! This is a member-driven forum and not an effective way of contacting Tripadvisor.

Owners are not to threaten reviewers to remove their reviews. This is what Tripadvisor has to say about it:

…tripadvisor.com/articles/200614997-What-sho…

You need to let Tripadvisor staff know about this. Please use this form:

www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Select Reviews > Questions about guidelines

As to your question whether or not the hotel owner can sue you, that depends on the laws of his country and yours. I see you're from Prague and he's in Italy. I seriously doubt that he can sue your because of your review.

In any event, if what you posted is a truthful account of your experience, you shouldn't be concerned. Unfortunately, there are some in business owners who are totally unscrupulous and maintain a great rating on Tripadvisor and other websites by threatening reviewers every time they get a bad review. It is up to you whether you want to leave or remove the review. I wouldn't remove it if I were you, but if you decide this is what you want to do, here's the form to request removal:

www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewSupport

Please even if you remove your review, do let Tripadvisor know that these owners threaten you!

Silvia

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My review

Hi, in the hotel listing there is a section called Traveler rating. That is the one where the green rating bars are. When you click the text on the left of each bar you can filter the reviews based on the rating. Unless you can read the languages in which the reviews are written, click the translate button.

Although majority of the reviews are positive, you might want to read some of the earlier 1 and 2 star reviews...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,751 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My review

Report it to TA as advised by everyone, and then tell your travel agent to stop contacting you - that too is harassment.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My review

Thank You for your answer :-) I will try to conntact TA and tell them about this. The problem is that I have no direct message from the hotel owner in which I was being threatened, only what my travel agent said me in phone :-( but anyway, I will not remove my review, because what I wrote was everything true. So I am not really afraid of any legal action :-)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,498 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My review

Hi Antrophea;

For future reference, the “TripAdvisor Support” forum is available for general questions and assistance using the TripAdvisor site.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvi…

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,010 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My review

Antrophea ~

If the travel agent received an email from the hotel, ask him/her to forward it to you. Then you would have a copy. It is possible though that s/he only phoned the Trav agent.

8. Re: My review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:17