We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrong information

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
Wrong information

I've just had an email asking me how my rental in Amsterdam was. I have to report that I did not rent on the basis of information provided by Trip Advisor because the information about pricing provided through Trip Advisor was totally inaccurate on a number of apartments. I had a similar problem with FlipKey though I found that Air BnB was totally accurate so I rented through them.

So take this as a "disgruntled" email.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,326 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wrong information

Welcome to the forum, Emarbee ~

There have been a number of other threads on the inaccurate pricing that can be found on Flipkey and Holiday Lettings listings. TA of course does not show "live" rates. Those rates are only as up to date as the property keeps them. Those properties pay to advertise on TA's data base.

TA Staff do read the posts on this forum. As other posters have also indicated, the inaccurate information is an issue that TA may wish to improve, in general.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,208 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wrong information

"Those properties pay to advertise on TA's data base."

I thought the same, Mufti but they actually don't pay upfront to advertise. They only pay a commission when they get a rental. Obviously, they are not very interested in getting rentals from Flipkey or TA if they don't keep their rental info and rates current.

Maybe Flipkey and holiday lettings should start removing all rentals whose owners do not update their listing monthly.

Silvia

Edited: 19 February 2014, 18:53
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,326 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wrong information

>>Obviously, they are not very interested in getting rentals from Flipkey or TA if they don't keep their rental info and rates current.<<

I was thinking something very similar, which was: They must be doing fine business via other avenues if they can leave their FK and HL listings unattended.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,552 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wrong information

>>>but they actually don't pay upfront to advertise. They only pay a commission when they get a rental<<<

Which isn't any different to 'listing' with an OTA. It is a distribution method, so in that regards, MMm is still correct, in that it is effectively paid advertising, even if the payment is post transaction in the form of a commission.

5. Re: Wrong information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:19