We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
110 reviews
Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

OK... going on a limb here but I think Trip Advisor would be a much nicer place if the phrase "Thanks in Advance" was banned from all posts. Here's something I lifed from a Yahoo thread which sums up my feelings on the topic:

------

"Thanks in advanvce!" has become a thin veil for "I'm feigning being polite because in reality I don't want to take the time to properly thank you when I should so I'll just ask and thank you all at once so I don't have to be inconvenienced by properly expressing my appreciation later, when I should. This is really more convenient for me."

-------

Anybody else bugged by this ??

Happy Trails :)

P.S. I tried searching for a similar thread and all it brought up was 400,000 threads in which someone said, "Thanks in Advance" :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,767 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

Ha ha ha ha ha! If only.

I don't actually pay attention to that, as I focus on other things.

Sorry! (<<<<<<< that's a Canadian thing and probably just as clichéd)

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,576 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

What if the person says "thanks in advance" and then thanks people again after they have been helped? Would you still have a problem with that?

Our world has too little politeness in it as it is, I'm not prepared to complain about people who say thank you too early or too often.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
110 reviews
3. Re: Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

If they follow up after being helped.... of course absolutely no problem with that :) Shows they actually read the post...

If they are actually thankful for receiving help, wouldn't hurt to say so.... otherwise it just strikes me as somewhat presumptuous...

And yes.... there are much more serious things to worry about in the world... just my pet peeve of the day..

Cheers :)

Essex
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

Lots of folk on here do not even bother with please or thankyou at all, anywhere, ever.

Guaranteed to make my blood boil...

At least if they say thanks in advance, they are actually saying thankyou, and aknowledging the fact that people are going to go to some effort for them.

They would get my attention. Those who cannot bother one way or the other, usually dont.

Your suggestion is silly, frankly.

You cannot really have much influence on how people ask, what they post or their opinion, any more than I can.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
104 reviews
5. Re: Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

I would prefer to ban 'your welcome' posts since they seem so unnecessary to me but this is probably just a Transatlantic view of the standardized Please, Thank you exchange

You cant legislate politeness so there is no real point in discussing requiring posters to say Please or banning 'Thanks in advance'

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,767 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

I also think 'you're welcome' has little place on the forums. I'm not sure OPs care much about hearing that. But I have posted it about 3 times in my life on TA when I've been the only one replying and someone has actually thanked me and nobody else.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,944 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

To take a blanket statement someone in cyber world wrote on another web-site and use that statement as a reason to ban a statement on a different web-site gives me pause to think, what is it that the second statement means to me personally. The answer is: Any thank you is welcome in my world!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

Part of me thought this post was in jest, but either way, the last thing I want TA doing is banning phrases. The profanity filters are already on a hair trigger in some cases, getting posts removed inadvertently. I believe in freedom of speech and I would like people to be able to post freely on TA without having to tap dance around every word or phrase that annoys someone. I don't care whether someone is polite before or after they receive help. Let's leave well enough alone.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
110 reviews
9. Re: Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

My post was definitely in jest... just blowing off steam :) Of course there is no possible way to ban phrases...

And yes... the "your welcome" also disturbs me for its uselessness...

Thanks everyone for your input... was just trying to inspire a few chuckles on this otherwise slow travel day :)

Essex
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
69 reviews
10. Re: Ban "Thanks in Advance"....

Oh, ha bleeping ha, then!

Utterly hilarious, that was.

:-(

Edited: 26 February 2014, 22:35