We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet Free Please!

Kent, United States
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Pet Free Please!

It would help so much if hotels and trip advisor would start listing as an amenity PET FREE. I am deathly allergic to pets. I almost wound up in the hospital last summer after staying at a Plymouth, MA hotel that is part of a well-known popular chain. While I was told I was on a pet free floor, clearly there was pet dander all over that room. It doesn't matter if a hotels says they have "pet free" floors if they have a central HVAC system or if housekeeping vacuums a pet room and then uses the same vacuum cleaner to "clean" a pet free room and blows dander all over the room. The windows in that hotel so not open so I had no way to air out the room. Do we all really want to stay in rooms where someone else's dogs have crawled all over the bedding, furniture and carpets? Yuck! Please, show me the PET FREE hotels.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pet Free Please!

If I was you ,I would check directly with the hotel, if they allow pets, don't stay there, can't really see what Tripadvisor has got to do with it.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pet Free Please!

I'd stay in the bed with the dog. Fine by me. They can add this sort feature if they want to, but with very specific needs I still recommend checking with the hotel just to be sure.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,364 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pet Free Please!

As e_c said, this is a very specific problem and my guess would be that it affects a very small percentage of people. I realize it is very serious to you, but general travel sites go with the general population - the majority. I also suggest you either check the hotel's website - many clearly state "no pets" - or call a hotel directly.

It's just like if somebody has a *real* food allergy yet wants to dine out. I would not depend upon a general restaurant website to make sure the restaurant doesn't have ____ in it's kitchen. I would contact the restaurant directly and talk to a manager.

>> Do we all really want to stay in rooms where someone else's dogs have crawled all over the bedding, furniture and carpets?<<

The majority of us who are pet owners may not see a big problem with that. When we travel with our dog, he stays on the floor on his towel. We do let the cats on the bed though ;-)

USA
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pet Free Please!

Welcome to the forum, Leigh H! You have made an excellent suggestion. I doubt it would work, pet owners regularly sneak their animals into restricted motel rooms.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,396 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pet Free Please!

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Leigh;

My wife and I stayed in a hotel advertised at "No Pets" to be woken in the middle of the night to a loud "WOOF" from the next room at 3 am. We mentioned it to the owner of the hotel at check-out, and he commented that he couldn't get "corporate" to fix the web page.

That was almost 3 years ago, and their website still says "No Pets Allowed ".

Respectfully, I would err on the side of caution and NOT rely on websites, but contact any prospective hotel, directly.

Best Regards

Edited: 05 April 2014, 15:12
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pet Free Please!

Bummer, Leigh, about your life-threatening experience.

However, even lodging that posts "no pets" must admit a service dog under the Americans with Disabilities Act:

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,364 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pet Free Please!

Good point, denalicat.

Tucson Arizona
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
701 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pet Free Please!

We usually stay at Marriott Residence Inns which are " Pet Friendly" hotels. Always see many four legged guests, and have never run into any problems.

The one time we ran into a problem was at a Marriott Courtyard, which does not allow pets. Someone left their two dogs in their car in the parking lot overnight. Our windows faced that direction, and we were kept awake by the constant barking. The hotel was full, so they could not move us, nor did they know whose car it was, and thus, could not notify the owner. Next morning, the car and the barking dogs were gone, but many of us had gone through a sleepless night.

9. Re: Pet Free Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 06:16