We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why did my review get deleted for something I didn't do?

Woodstock, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Why did my review get deleted for something I didn't do?

I just an email saying that my review (that I put a lot of time into writing) got deleted because of inconsistencies.

Yes, I didn't sleep there because it was just to nasty, but had accidentally clicked on the sleep quality. Once you click on it you can't Unclick it. Please fix.

The email said that I rated the food at this hotel. There is no food rating on that page, nor did I ever mention eating there. I ate at the Denny's attached to the Pilot next door. You must have gotten me confused with someone else.

TA, try adding an edit button and sending an email saying to edit something if it's not up to standards instead of just deleting what someone has written down. That's just going to discourage people from writing reviews if it's just going to get deleted anyway.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,860 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why did my review get deleted for something I didn't do?

Hi

Go ahead and resubmit your review and be very careful not to rate something you didn't experience.

I assume that you saved your review as a Word document or something like that so it will be easy to resubmit.

Note that this is a forum. We are just members like you. If you want to have a conversation with TA_Staff, use the Help Center at the bottom of this page. Allow at least 5-7 business days for a reply.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why did my review get deleted for something I didn't do?

I'll just add that the topic of being able to edit reviews is rather common on this forum and it is my opinion that generally most (but not all) long-time TA users think it is a bad idea. I won't go into all the reasons, but there are many.

Also, I think it is a vast overstatement to say reviews are "just going to get deleted anyway." Reviews that conform to the guidelines are only rarely deleted and, even then, they can be reinstated.

Bottom Line: While TA generally doesn't respond to threads on this forum, they do read them and are aware of the suggestion that user's be given the capability to edit their reviews. The fact that they haven't done anything about it leads me to believe, it isn't a feature "the powers that be" think should be added. Sorry your review go deleted, but there doesn't seem to be much question that it probably violated the guidelines.

Now, as to adding the ability to "unrank" an item when they are mistakenly clicked during review submission, I think that idea has merit.

hlo

Woodstock, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why did my review get deleted for something I didn't do?

Yea, if I hadn't accidentally clicked on the sleep quality button then there shouldn't have been an issue because the eating issue they had was with someone else or something else because there wasn't any place to review any food.

Oh well, I resubmitted it. But this time I reread it and went over it with a fine tooth comb and removed anything that might trigger a delete. And Pacific, I did save it this time in a word doc.

Thanks,

Sam.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,860 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why did my review get deleted for something I didn't do?

Good luck! If it gets deleted again, I recommend asking on the Support forum where members are quite experienced figuring out TA issues.

I agree with your idea: allow the user to "unclick" a rating button. I hope TA adds that to their pile of ideas to "Help Make TripAdvisor Better!"

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,615 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why did my review get deleted for something I didn't do?

Out of curiosity, your review got published and then you got an email from TA saying it would be removed from the site, or it never got to be published and you got an email saying it was rejected?

Just asking because if it was published and you will then notified that it was removed, that is new for TA and something we have been asking for a long time. Reviewers aren't/weren't notified if published reviews were removed. Thanks

Silvia

6. Re: Why did my review get deleted for something I didn't do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 05:16