We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deposit refund

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Deposit refund

I think your process for deposit refunds is not optimum. The owners does not understand how it works and I can not believe that it takes 20 days to get my refund - it took 3 seconds for you to take it when I made the reservation. I just got off the phone with an agent and she confirmed that it takes 10 days to release the deposit and then another 10 to show up in my account. In other words 20 days you sit on my money - I will never use tripadvisor again for reservations as I have used other services and never ran into this problem.

To top it off, I put in reviews for each of my reservations and they were rejected - so much for customer service after I went through the trouble. I loved the places we stayed and will go there again but will use another way to make the reservations for sure.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,335 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deposit refund

Hi Berdine, welcome to the forum ~

I am thinking you are talking about a Vacation Rental, operated by Flipkey but listed on TA as a push through from Flipkey. These two companies are associated, so TA lists Flipkey's rentals as a courtesy.

Is it Flipkey that is not returning your deposit in good time? Trip Advisor offers Peace of Mind coverage in case something goes sideways, but does not usually handle reservations or deposits made, AFAIK.

When you say your reviews of your reservations, do you mean you tried to write a review of the reservation process? Vacation Rentals follow a different process than a TA listing does. You write your review of a stay at an accommodation, then the owner is asked to confirm that you stayed there. At that point, your review is checked to make sure it follows posting guidelines. If it does it is posted. If the owner does not confirm that you stayed there, TA then contacts you to provide further information to show you stayed there. Then your review is posted up. However, a review of the reservation process would not qualify and very likely would not be accepted.

If you want to post a more detailed description of what happened through your reservation process do so below. This is the correct forum for discussing things on TA that need to be done better - it is the HUMTAB (Help Us Make TA Better) forum. TA staff read this forum, but do not participate to any degree.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deposit refund

First off, TA is the company I did the reservation with and not Flipkey so to me that is who is responsible for figuring out how to do this better. I called Tripadvisor yesterday and confirmed that the website says "within 10 days" but that actually it only gets released after 10 days and then it can take another 10 days for the posting to happen. They did admit that there is no good communication to the owners on how to expedite this process. I believe it is a big gap. I have used other services in the past for renting property and my deposit was returned within 3 days at the most. TA told me the money is held in a non-interest account as I thought they are getting interest on it. There is also no place on the website where I can even look at the status of my refund; the last I have is my receipts. If TA wants to be in the rental business and partner with others - they need to do it right. In none of my communications throughout did I ever see the name Flipkey - it was all handled by tripadvisor. I am now at 13 waiting for my refund ...

Regarding the reviews - I added 3 reviews this past Monday - very positive and I believe good for others to know. Of the three one has been rejected and the other two are still in pendign status. I believe that unless I write something inappropriate all feedback should be posted. As I said mine was very positive and focused on what was best about the places for us.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,335 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deposit refund

Thanks for the further clarification. I also think that TA needs to do this rental/money taking business better. Or stay out of it and just take the commissions.

Now for the reviews. I am still not clear if you rented a vacation rental or a hotel room. What is the name of the property of the review that has been rejected. Posting a link to it would be even better. If you reviewed a vacation rental, your description of rejection does not match the vacation rental review submission process.

If you reviewed a hotel listed just on TA (and not in the separate vacation rentals section) and it got rejected, there is ALWAYS a logical reason for its removal. Even a positive review can contain inappropriate, guidelines violating text. If you would like to post your review text below, experienced eyes will have a go to see what the problem could be.

The guidelines for writing reviews is here:

…tripadvisor.com/sections/200154957-Writing-…

4. Re: Deposit refund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 06:16