We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are reviews published that violate guidelines?

2 posts
Save Topic
Why are reviews published that violate guidelines?

We have seen several negative reviews published that violated guidelines and had to be removed. Why aren't guidlines enforced BEFORE publication? Why do business owners have the burden of pointing out guideline violations, sometimes more than once per review? There is a shoot first, ask questions later approach on Tripadvisor. While the guideline violating review is posted, the reputation of the business suffers. To make this site better, you need to make sure ALL REVIEWS and management responses meet guidlines, not just management responses.

A great example is the latest a review of our business by someone who has had NO CONTACT with us other than what he/she read on Tripadvisor. How can a review based on a review even get published. How can they rate our hotel? It is absurd. Again, TripAdvisor should do a better job of keeping such postings off and not leaving it to business owners to point out why they should never have been published. This way travelers and business owners could trust Tripadvisor more.

Thank you.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are reviews published that violate guidelines?

"Why aren't guidlines enforced BEFORE publication? Why do business owners have the burden of pointing out guideline violations, sometimes more than once per review?"

The quick but harsh answer is, no system is perfect. With 11,000+ reviews per day coming in to TA, there's no way one could reasonably expect that each review will be read by a staff member before posted. People gripe now about it taking a day or two to publish a review. Imagine what it would be like if it took a few weeks to a month (or more) to publish a review. TA relies on automatic filters to pick up on certain elements of a review. If it passes the auto filters, then it most likely goes live. Depending on the violation, it's quite possible for reviews to slip through the cracks. It is then up to members to flag as inappropriate reviews that are suspicious or violate guidelines. I understand the frustration, but at this point, unless TA is going to hire a bunch more staff to handle reading that many reviews, then we're kind of stuck with what we've got.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,338 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are reviews published that violate guidelines?

I've been a TA member long enough to remember when all reviews were read by staff before publication. I still saw reviews that violated the guidelines, because nobody's perfect.

With the current volume of reviews, it's just not possible to have them all read by people, so TA has filters that automatically reject some, accept others, and set some aside for checking by staff before publication.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,931 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are reviews published that violate guidelines?

You have an opportunity to have them removed so that's fine. You are probably in the best position to spot them.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are reviews published that violate guidelines?

alguart,

I can imagine that you are very frustrated. I have friends with listings on TA and they regularly complain to me about negative and fake reviews. They have contacted TA repeatedly and asked to have those reviews removed but to no avail.

Meanwhile, I wrote a review for a restaurant and it was first published, then removed several days later. When I asked TA about this, I was told that my review was in 2 languages, therefore unacceptable. Linguistic integrity was not important to me as getting the message out, therefore I translated the single phrase of foreign language and re-submitted the review. It was published immediately. Since then, I have seen many reviews containing more than 1 language!

Yesterday, I submitted a new review which probably won't get published. It was for a famous restaurant in Spain with a very international menu. That means there are references to dishes in many different languages and the title of the review? "Je ne regrette rien" - the title of Edith Piaf's famous tune. :-)

5. Re: Why are reviews published that violate guidelines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17