We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

I have usedTripadvisor.com on many occasions to find hotels to stay on my travels. Some hotels listed by TripAdvisor do not take direct bookings on the internet.

As a result when you search for availability of dates, your site indicates that "The hotel has no rooms available for the dates requested".

This is NOT correct what it should say is that "This hotel does not take bookings via the web and that one should call the hotel dorect to check availability. "

This reply is available on booking.com and even the HiHostels website.

Tripadvisor needs to rectify this in order not to give yhe impression to potential customers that the hotel has no availability when it actually does.

Tripadvisor should advise customers to call the hotels direct for availability for those hotels that stillpdo not use an automated web booking system.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,897 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

Before I respond to your posting, I want to point out that I don't work for TripAdvisor. As with all Destination Experts, I'm a TA member like you who volunteers to help fellow members with their questions.

I think that is an excellent suggestion.The current message is misleading.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

I would also like to add that some of the very best hotels and places that I have stayed at do NOT use a web-booking portal and prefer the personalised service of a booking made via a phone call to a manager / receptionist.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,689 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

The message should be changed. But I wouldn't go to any hotel that required me to phone a booking through, no matter how good they may be.

USA
Level Contributor
7,021 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

Welcome to TripAdvisor, vleeks!

I agree completely, but I have not seen "The hotel has no rooms available for the dates requested" on TripAdvisor. The messages I see for hotels that don't take part in the hotel reservation system are "Contact hotel for availability" and "We can't find prices for this hotel" "Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options..."

Do you have a link to a page that shows the misleading statement?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

Here is the link to the webshot pf the booking I was trying to make for a colleague.

I know that the hotel is not fill and has available rooms as I called them direct to speak to them hoping that they might have something available and they confirmed that they had available rooms for the dates I requested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7j2ccpfihomlagx/05…

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

I too see the same messages that Hoogo sees. The message the OP quotes is a very old message that TA used but was replaced, I believe, last year when they removed the average hotel rates.

Yet, the messages could be improved, and the OP suggestion is indeed very good.

Silvia

Edited: 19 May 2014, 17:32
USA
Level Contributor
7,021 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

I spent some time searching hotels in Garda on both tripadvisor.com and tripadvisor.com.sg without finding the offending wording. I can not duplicate the problem.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

"This is NOT correct what it should say is that "This hotel does not take bookings via the web and that one should call the hotel dorect to check availability. "

This reply is available on booking.com and even the HiHostels website."

Um, I'm having a problem with this statement. I don't see where booking.com says that. Why would booking.com say that when they are a booking site and only show hotels that can be booked through them?

I can't replicate the Tripadvisor message quoted by the OP either.

Silvia

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

I too disagree with that statement for exactly the reasons mentioned by Silvia. I've never seen or heard of that from Booking.com

I also absolutely agree with RB about phoning a reservation. It's outdated, littered with potential pitfalls, time consuming, not to mention costly for those calling long distance.

Having said all of that, any suggestions to improve an online reservation experience is fine by me. Especially those that can be improved by minimizing or completely removing the need for redirection or alternate methods of communicating.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking a hotel NOT on an internet web-booking portal

Firstly my apologies for the typos - I am currently working off a smartphone.

Secondly, all I am saying is that there are afew hotels listed on tripadvisor that are not on a web-booking portal.

When searching for availability for these hotels on the tripadvisor site it will reply "Hotel unavailable for selected dates" - even if the hotel actually has rooms available!

This is probably because the hotels in question are not on a web-bookong portal and therefore when the system searches for availability it can't find any.

The message gives the impression that the hotel is full.

Perhaps a more correct message would be "This hotel does not take web-bookings and that the person contact the hotel directly for availability."