We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please extend duration of "edit button"

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,514 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Please extend duration of "edit button"

As far as i know, edit button is available for a short time after posting. From what i get, you have an once-off chance to use it for 5 minutes after the time you post.

I 'd like to ask for two changes if possible:

1. Allow an extended time of editing, let's say 20 minutes.

2. Allow edit button to be used multiple times in this time frame.

The basic function that button DOES expire after a while OR if a new message has been posted can and should definitely stay the same for the sake of a good flow in the conversation.

Nevertheless, providing more time to edit and some more chances to do so IN THIS TIME can only deliver better posts and will not change the flow of the coversation. All these years the button is there, i have never seen a misuse of it, mainly it's use is to correct orthographical mistakes, so, it would be a great idea to make this use even better, if possible.

Thank you.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 13:21
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,095 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please extend duration of "edit button"

Nick_arch, I have seen the edit button misused on other forums with a more lenient policy. However, closing edits once a response has been posted would deal with most of those situations; these were forums that allowed an unlimited number of edits, regardless of whether there was a response or not.

I wonder if TA could be persuaded to allow 2 edits and 10 minutes? That would probably deal with 95% of my "oh drat!" moments.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please extend duration of "edit button"

Excellent suggestion.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,301 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please extend duration of "edit button"

I don't know about 20 minutes. How good will the edit be if the member to whom you were responding has already read your response?

Silvia

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,142 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please extend duration of "edit button"

I like the idea, but Silvia makes a very good point.

Best Regards

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,271 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please extend duration of "edit button"

I too like the idea, as I feel almost embarrassed to have to double post because of some simple mistake, or omitted piece of information. But I too agree that maybe 20mins is too long, by the time the edit is 'reposted', the context could be out of whack.

This is a thumbs up from me.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please extend duration of "edit button"

I agree,

The current 5 limit leads to edits being made in a rush to beat the deadline which can lead to more errors being created in the rush to fix the original post.

It is very annoying to find that having made your edits the changes to have them them thrown away because the time limit has expired whilst you were editing.

Perhaps rather than a single time limit we could be given 10 minutes to start the editing and then a ten minutes starting from the time that 'Edit' was started to complete the update and press 'Submit' - this should reduce the pressure to type quickly when editing, providing you start the edit in time you would know you had a reasonable period to complete the update.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,013 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please extend duration of "edit button"

I agree that the edit period is too short, and that there is consequently pressure to complete the edit quickly!

I also know of forums where unrestricted editing has a detrimental effect on threads.

I don't know what the answer is but I would support a relaxation of the editing restrictions to 10 minutes instead of 5.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,007 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please extend duration of "edit button"

I just use the preview button and edit then if needed.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,627 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please extend duration of "edit button"

It does not matter if the edit time is 5, 10, 15 or 20 mins if another user has replied

People just need to try and get things right and as has been said there is a preview function

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please extend duration of "edit button"

I believe a 10 minute limit - one edit only - would solve many of the "hurry, hurry, I've got to fix that right now" additional errors on slower threads.

I would not like to see multiple edits.

I use the preview feature sometimes but even though this may sound silly, what I don't like about it is that there are no paragraphs! Plus, it does not *exactly* match what the post will look like, I've noticed.