We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Articles

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,823 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Articles

I have a suggestion that is more for the other participants than for TA staff, but I thought this might be one place to bring it up:

When updating one of the travel articles, it would be very helpful if the person doing the updating would add a comment to the comments section to give a quick summary of what was changed, and why.

For example, one of the articles connected to the Cuba Forum has recently been updated, and as from a quick look, it seems the changes are mostly a rearrangement, and a bit of rewording. But without a very careful review, it is hard to tell if there are any material changes.

It seems the intent of these articles is to try to present a consensus of the knowledge and Ideas of most travellers, and if one person makes some changes without explaining what they are, or why, it is difficult for other people to participate, and very tempting to just roll back to the previous version.

What do you think?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Articles

Strongly agree; that's really what the comments field is for, although recent changes have made it harder to update the article comments now.

I almost always leave a short comment, even if it's only "fixed typo". Especially if it's only "fixed typo", actually.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Articles

Agree but people first do not know that there are travel articles (no direct menu apart the top question links) and on the most used ones the comments are full of questions that should go to the forums...

Every week I have to ask TA to clean up comments...

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,063 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Articles

I'd like to see a pop-up window before the updates are accepted, asking the member who edited it: Reason for edit? and make this a mandatory field for submission.

True a member could write just blah blah, but I would expect that most will enter the real reason for editing it.

Silvia

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Articles

Perhaps it would be possible to include a comment field on the edit or preview pages while updating the article. I don't think that it needs to be mandatory, but it would be a gentle reminder to include a note as to why one is changing the article.

edit: I block pop-ups, so that option wouldn't work well for me. :o)

Edited: 21 June 2014, 18:04
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,823 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Articles

In a lot of cases the comments that are added to the articles on the Cuba section are just questions or discussion that, as Maurizio04 says, should go in the forum. In some cases these discussions are expressions of disagreement with some of the information in the article, and are often never seen by anyone that would be in a position to discuss it, like they would if the discussion happened in the forum.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,703 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Articles

It is easy to tell what changed, no need to read it carefully. Just use the fonction to compare it with the previous version. The changes are highlighted in red. I do this all the time to check what changed.

7. Re: Travel Articles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 06:17