We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prizes for contributors?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
1 post
114 reviews
Save Topic
Prizes for contributors?

Comments: Hello all: first of all let me tell you that tripadvisor is a fantastic site and that I enjoy a lot to contribute to it.

I just reached the level of Top Contributor and I would like to indicate a suggestion.

Why do not you give some prizes to the most prolific authors, prizes that can be offered by the sites' sponsors (free trips/meals/hotel nights etc etc)?

just a tought

Thanks

European Globetrotter

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,893 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prizes for contributors?

Hello,

But you've already received your prize. And it's a never ending one. Knowledge.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,354 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prizes for contributors?

why is that those with the fewest contributions want the rewards.

maybe its about time the number of reviews for each level of badge was changed to a much higher number.say 1000 reviews for a top contributor or even having a ratio of forum post to reviews of 10/1.

I think that those that contribute to forums should be recognised rather than those that just do reviews.

USA
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prizes for contributors?

Welcome to the forum, Eur0peangl0betr0tter!

This request is made often enough that TripAdvisor ought to consider something. I am not personally interested, 50 reviews is much clearer acknowledgement of your situation than is Top Contributor. Coincidentally, I came across a three year old article today while searching for something else. It has an interesting take on the badges and labels: "It’s all an effort by TripAdvisor to get more game-like and social and to provide users with a small incentive to encourage more user reviews." tnooz.com/article/…

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prizes for contributors?

I'm surprised the shiny yellow star isn't enough...

In all seriousness, though. Free meals and hotel nights? For what? Plunking out 50 reviews on a VOLUNTEER website? Is that really worth $100? More importantly, though, how many more crappy useless 2 and 3 sentence reviews would flood the website so people can get their freebie?

TA is about information. You start offering all these incentives just for writing reviews, you compromise that information. I don't support this and I hope TA doesn't either, regardless of how many times it's been brought up.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 02:32
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,716 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prizes for contributors?

A very good suggestion, unclegus. You can't really fudge a sloppy. tweet length piece of advice in a reply on a forum. Not for long anyway. The vultures appear PDQ.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,602 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prizes for contributors?

Quality is a better measure of value than quantity. Even on forums, where it's possible to post 'thank you' or 'you're welcome' which, although polite, also increases your contribution stats!

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
834 posts
659 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prizes for contributors?

Posting reviews on TA is a voluntary action for the benefit of others. In my dictionary voluntary means 'serving or acting in a specified function of one's own accord without compulsion or promise of remuneration'. That sums it up.

And to repeat what exterior corridors has already said, it would inevitably mean a huge increase in worthless two or three line reviews, and probably fake reviews as well. I agree with ext.corridors - a bad idea.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,893 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prizes for contributors?

>>>More importantly, though, how many more crappy useless 2 and 3 sentence reviews would flood the website so people can get their freebie?<<<

Isn't that exactly what the Indian version of TA went through when they offered frequent flyer mileage for contributions?

9. Re: Prizes for contributors?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:24
Get answers to your questions