We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

Springfield, OR
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

It'd be nice if there were a simple "Contact Us" way to "talk" to you. Your various menus are quite complete in the menu of "canned questions". But, they don't always cover everything. Like, I've never found an easy way to rate "tripadvisor"...it's easy to compliment or criticize hotels, restaurants, barn-burnings, etc but how can I tell you that you get 4 1/4 stars? Make it easier to talk directly to you and "fix" the concern I'm describing below and you'll haf'ta add another rating for yourself, 'cause you'll be a six, in my opinion.

It's been a while since I've annoyed you with my continuing whine.....Thousands of motorhome and travel trailer folks would love to have and use a dedicated RV Park listing so that we don't haf'ta be in either a "second-class" or "Specialty" sub-division of your "Hotel" category. Believe me, the folks stuck behind us on curvy mountain roads KNOW we've obvious and visible, it'd sure be nice for the facilities we're looking for to be equally obvious and visible on your wonderful site. I'd encourage you to get some numbers from "Good Sam" RV club or various state's motor vehicle departments to get a feel for how many RV users are out there. Thanks for listening, I hope to see an RV Park category soon

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,818 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

Kennuf,

Welcome to the forums. I see you haven't posted here much, so I'll try to help as much as I can.

First of all, do realize the sheer number of TA users. If TA staff were to provide direct email links, they would be flooded with so much email that they'd never be able to sift through in any reasonable amount of time, so the help center and support forum are the primary means of dealing with issues.

As far as making suggestions, this is the appropriate place. No, you are not speaking with TA staff, as the forums are member-driven. However, TA staff do read this forum, so it is entirely possible that they will take you up on your idea.

I will agree that the "lodging" categories are, at the very least, mislabeled. There has been much discussion on how lodgings are classified, including actual hotels. There is no distinction within the "hotel" category between a 12-unit roadside motel and a 500-unit highrise luxury hotel. B&Bs have been miscategorized as hotels where true motels were categorized as B&Bs. Needless to say, there is room for improvement.

I have to say, though, that I don't have a problem with the "specialty lodging" category. While I would prefer it be a subdivision of an all-encompassing "accommodations" section, I think it helps to point travelers in the right direction away from "typical" lodgings with rooms, a parking lot and a front desk. I would recommend to TA that campgrounds and RV parks be their own section of the specialty lodging category.

I like the idea of keeping all of the "where to stay" listings in one place, but I also think they could be organized better than they are now.

Springfield, OR
Level Contributor
5 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

Thanks for taking the time and extending the courtesy of responding. I do , respectfully, maintain that there's a significant difference between looking for a room with a bed and a bathroom and looking for a place to park your own room on wheels.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,749 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

Living in a motorhome is a lot like living in a suburban street, except that you don't have a fixed postal address and the toilet facilities aren't as good. But one could hardly called it travelling, could one?

That being the case, I have difficulty seeing how there could be a need for a forum about living in a motorhome on a travel website.

Nevertheless, if you need to discuss the specific aspect of driving from place to place, there's always the Road Trips forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri… :))

Edited: 29 June 2014, 08:22
United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

Try this website;

http://rvparkreviews.com./

Custom made for RVers, which we were for 30 years before going back to the nimble SUV and motel style of traveling.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

Hi kennuf, perhaps you haven't looked at the listings lately?

Yes, RV parks are still under Specialty Lodging. But now they are separated out under a distinctive category of "Campgrounds".

Keep in mind that RV parks go by different terms in different parts of the world, so the term "RV park" may not make sense to somebody who wants to find a "caravan park" for example. The term campground is more universal I think.

Here's an example 'next door' to you:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g51862-c3-Eugene_Oreg…

TripAdvisor has seen a steady increase in both RV parks and campground reviews over the last few years. I well remember when I used to have to "battle" with staff to even get an RV park listed -- they did not recognize it as 'lodging' -- now it's so much easier :-)

But since TripAdvisor depends upon businesses being added by travelers, it takes time to build up a database. I see you have submitted some RV park reviews and would encourage you to add more RV parks that you know about. You do not have to stay in them to add them to TA - you just cannot review them unless you have had some interaction with the RV park.

TripAdvisor definitely *has * listened to RVers and campers over the years!

-

Luigi, the OP is asking about a separate review section, not a forum. Although there are full timers I don't think they are referring to that. Millions of folks worldwide use all types of RVs for *travelling*, particularly during the summer :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,444 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

Up here, where we stand right side up, RVs are used a lot for travelling. They too drive 400 km a day, give or take, park up for the night(s) and repeat for 2-3 weeks. I know a couple who have toodled off to Alaska for a month.

I think half-Brit makes a good point in that in the roll out of the most recent version of the listings, campsites including RV campsites are more visible than before. Not completely separate, but more visible.

But you never know, requesting a separate tab/button for linking to the Forums for destinations has just been added to a destination forum's home page. So never say never about getting a dedicated listings heading for RV campgrounds.

7. Re: It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 09:32
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,444 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

Hi Allen, welcome to the forum ~

You have actually added your comment to a thread that is about listing RV campsites as a separate category, if you go back and read the posts above. You have a completely separate issue. I suggest you start a new thread on this forum. Compose an effective subject line. Copy and paste your comments there.

There is an "Ask a question" button well below the reply box below. Or if you are on a phone, go back to the main page and find the "New topic" button at the top.

9. Re: It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 09:32
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,444 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It's hard to "talk" directly to you....

Hi again,

It was the Original Poster who composed the subject line. Each OP creates the subject line that they think best describes the question they are asking. So it's not the topic that is set, to which people can post question after question, it's about each user starting a new topic which then becomes "theirs" and a discussion of that person's topic. You get to have your own 15 minutes of fame. :-) except some OPs can build over 100 replies. Have a look around the topics in the list here on this forum. All kinds of users and topics.

There are no forums that are directed to TA staff. But TA Staff do read this forum and the Support Forum. Sometimes they post, it depends. All are open forums and are followed by regulars who come on to help. Generally, when someone replies in a thread, they are replying to the OP about that issue.

I think your topic is a good one and I think you should consider posting it on this forum. This is feedback that TA should get from users. I think you might find others adding to your thread with additional comments and opinions about your topic. You make a good point, TA are sending rather useless emails soliciting reviews of places you don't care about and you think they should change what they do.

Having said that, each reviewer is writing about their personal experience. And those experiences will without doubt be different from yours. Or mine. That's how personal experiences go. They are subjective and shouldn't match others or all sing the same tune.