We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

Spain
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

I receive a lot of valuable help from many people in various areas here as, I'm sure, do very many others. I often find that several people have answered my query with good advice or information and where there is no need for follow up by me except to express my thanks to the contributor. Adding a 'Thank you' reply message to each message bloats the thread and adds to the bandwidth. It would be nice to have a 'Thanks' button available in each reply so that pressing that will add my username to the bottom of the relevant post and indicate my thanks. It could also be used by other readers also helped by that post to express their appreciation too. I use it often in other forums where it exists. It helps keep threads manageable.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

This has been suggested many times before.

Rather than post individual Thank Yous (which are not linked back to an individual reply) just post a generic 'Thanks to everyone who has helped'

Spain
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

Yes, I already do that but then another few messages arrive and need the same treatment....and then again etc. :)

Edited: 20 July 2014, 11:04
va
Level Contributor
564 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

just send a pm

Spain
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

Very cumbersome with many useful posts.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

I am sorry that TripAdvisor staff members rarely comment on this forum.

Interesting suggestion, rafikiphoto. Would we need a "You're Welcome !" button too? Would using the button count as a forum post?

Spain
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

☺ I have not seen one on the other forums and don't think it necessary.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,758 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

I like your suggestion, rafikiphoto. I think it'll be quite useful to have a "thank you" button next to each post, or a thumbs up button.

Unfortunately, most members disagree, thinking that it'll lead to people ganging up to thank their forum friends and that those will have plenty of thanks while others with not so many friends won't. Hovering over the thanks and revealing the screen name of those who thanked you would be a deterrent, I believe, to people always thanking the same user--others would notice.

I've seen this feature in a different forum and to me it works great!

Silvia

Edited: 20 July 2014, 15:42
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,906 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

I also like the idea

Spain
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

The Leica camera forum has the facility and it works great. Not necessary to hover over, a small strip appears below the liked post with the usernames of those who have thanked the contributor.

I am surprised to hear the reason some object to the facility. 'Serial thanking' sounds rather childish and I cannot really see any beneficial purpose accruing the the 'likee'! ;)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,097 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Could we have a 'Thanks' button please?

There are already cliques and "camps" on TA Forums. Childish doesn't even come close to what goes on on a couple of forums I am aware of. Even to the point of feuding and guerilla fighting and posters being banned from the website. Just saying. You'd never imagine that a thanks button could get caught up in all that.