We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
Save Topic
Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant Details page utilising the API - at http://ratings.food.gov.uk/open-data/en-GB

This is bizarrely missing and is a big factor in making trip/purchase decisions it also freely adds another source/type of information so adds value to the TripAdvisor offering.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,113 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

I agree that having official food hygiene rating information available on listings would be valuable.

However it is only recently that the UK introduced a comprehensive system with access to all ratings available.

TA is a multinational site and many countries lag behind the UK in this regard, In the US each state is different with, in some cases, each city having a different grading scheme and reporting mechanism.

TA might be reluctant to implement something that couldn't easily be extended to other countries around the world.

USA
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

I like your suggestion, 2friars! TripAdvisor UK pages must receive enough traffic to merit the addition of food hygiene ratings.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

Beautiful post ^^__^^

I was thinking about Vietnam...

Choice:

Still alive--small intoxication--intoxication+hospital--not alive

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,868 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

I'd like to see this added. I don't think it will be added, instead we get new features like 'Ask a question about this place', but this would be more useful.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,685 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

I think it's a great idea.

I do understand the concerns put forth by Mymsman, but if TA aren't concerned by varying standards for say hotel ratings (the different standards/rating houses based on country and region), there's no harm in adding information as it comes to hand. Sure it'll be work in progress, but why not?

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

the food hygiene ratings are slightly skewed towards big new chain type places

A friend of mine owns a cafe that is part of a Victorian building

the WC is outside and because of this they can never score higher than a 3/5 yet the building is listed so they cannot move the WC

the cafe is spotless but to move would be financially impossible

catch 22

whereas the big chains can raze a plot and build something suitable for the 21st century from scratch

and get 5/5!

from what I understand 1 or no stars is bad enough that urgent attention is needed

tony

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,667 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

I think since the UK has a national scheme of hygiene ratings and is English-speaking (TA's core audience) right now, it behooves TA to think seriously about how they could reflect that on TripAdvisor. After that, they can consider doing major US cities that have well-developed online systems; I believe New York City might work, for example.

However, since the UK's national system is new, and -- as lutonlagerlout points out -- there are some shortcomings in the system, it wouldn't be unreasonable to wait a year or two for the system to stabilize before incorporating it into TA. It would be too bad to put a lot of programming effort into reflecting those ratings, just to have the government overhaul them because they found flaws in the new system. For example, Lutonlagerlout's friend's cafe ought to have some kind of an exemption or appeal their rating because it is physically impossible for them to satisfy one requirement.

Edited: 23 July 2014, 22:26
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,667 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

LOL, I misplaced a right parenthesis in my first sentence. I meant that TA's core audience is currently English-speaking, not that the UK might transition to a different language than English in the future. Although anything is possible...

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

TBH I am happy with the current system of reviews on the whole

the hygiene ratings are handy for smelling out places with no or 1 star (very bad food handling and pest control) but are not really a qualitative rating on the establishment

tony

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,868 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Hygiene Ratings on UK Restaurant/Takeaway Details pages

You're right, they are not a qualitative indicator but they are something I look at when considering whether to eat somewhere. Rightly or wrongly, I am not going to enter an establishment with a 0 or 1 rating. 3 is fine by me, since I am aware that the system isn't perfect.

This is something that would really add value for the TA user in the UK. I agree that it could also be useful in other cities and countries that have a similar scheme in place.