We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City/State/Country postings

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
City/State/Country postings

Like many TripAdvisor members, my wife and I regularly travel to new places. Whether that's a new beach, city, region, community, state or country. We are sometimes surprised at the people or energy of a place, because it's different than what tour books or media portray. For example, my wife and I recently returned from a week and a half trip throughout Maine. Photos, books and movies describe the physical beeauty. What it didn't describe was the coldness ad rudeness of nearly all the locals to us and other tourists. I mean, it was non stop. It wasn't until we got home that multiple people asked us,"Didn't you know, they are stuck up and many are prejudiced there." All we could say was, "No, nobody informed us of that."

With that being said, I would like members to be able to post comments on locations they visit, such as cities, states, etc. Then we can all be more informed if several people post similar problems or similar likes.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,419 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City/State/Country postings

Welcome to the forums!

Years ago, cities could be reviewed. Tripadvisor discontinued those reviews. I honestly don't think they will bring it back.

While I don't know the reason for Tripadvisor's decision, I do remember that it was often brought up on this forum that no one could respond to those reviews. Many of those reviews were full of errors, misconceptions, opinions, etc. I see carry on today with public places such as beaches, parks, etc. where there is no owner to respond to those reviews.

Imagine, how would you feel if someone would write a review of how terribly arrogant people from LA are but no one could set the record straight?

Silvia

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City/State/Country postings

Well stated, Silvia. Pittsburghers have this reputation for being nothing but football fanatics that drink too much. People so often forget that we're actually beer drinkers that like football. And we put fries on our sandwiches...

In all seriousness though, I think the OP is exactly the reason TA discontinued this practice. What good comes of posting that kind of opinion in a review? It just angers the locals of the reviewed region and perpetuates stereotypes and misconceptions. I'd rather read about your specific encounters at the places you visited or read your comments in a destination forum. At least then, residents would have a chance to respond. As we all know, there is always more than one side to a story.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
6,193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City/State/Country postings

You can also post your experiences on the local destination forums. Tripadvisor has them for pretty much everywhere in the world including Maine!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,419 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City/State/Country postings

BradJill,

Can you image the reaction of members on the Maine forum if the OP where to post that the people of Maine are cold and rude?

Silvia

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,929 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City/State/Country postings

Much safer to write it up in a review that nobody can respond to...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
6,193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City/State/Country postings

Expat-in-Cabarete,

Yes. I can imagine..... but truth be told, if you want to make broad sweeping statements about the behaviour or attitudes of an entire community then you should do so in a community (public) environment where members of that community have the opportunity to consider your thoughts and respond.

TA members provide their views of the mainland Chinese quite regularly on the Hong Kong forum. Sometimes, the forum experts agree with their views, when they are given fairly. Other times, when posters are being tacky, unfair or demonstrating clear prejudge against the Chinese, they are met with resistance or strong rebuttal by the local experts and regular forum contributors. Im sure our Maine forum participants exercise similar practices, restraints and decency when posed with comments about their communities or people within..... or at least I hope they do.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City/State/Country postings

As with all TripAdvisor reviews, they are ALL opinions based on experiences, not fictional stories.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,929 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City/State/Country postings

Yes, but some opinions are based on incorrect information. I recall a review that complained that a local attraction was quite small. As I'm familiar with that attraction (and many similar ones in Canada), I strongly suspect that the reviewer missed seeing most of the very large attraction because of the way it is laid out (you receive a map upon entry so that you know what there is to see).

As has been noted on another thread, it's always more helpful when reviewers explain why they arrived at their opinions, instead of simply giving their opinions:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k7699190-…

Edited: 08 August 2014, 17:46
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: City/State/Country postings

When you review a restaurant and say that the soup was cold, the manager or owner can write a response saying, "Yes, but you ordered the gazpacho." Who gets to respond to your subjective opinions of an entire group of people that you make sweeping judgments on in a review? Of course it's safer to mention this kind of thing in a one-and-done review than in a public forum. You'd uncork the torches and pitch forks in a hurry.

If you want to express an issue, how about framing it as a question in the forums and maybe you'll get some useful feedback from locals. Something like, "When I went here, this specific thing happened. Has anyone else experienced this occurrence that I've stated in a calm respectful manner, and how can I avoid it in the future?" That may be a bit more productive than a review where you simply vent about how "these people are all jagoffs."

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,360 posts
6,193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: City/State/Country postings

What exterior_corridors has described is a tactful, fair and nonthreatening way to approach this subject. This should be helpful to the OP as well as the rest of us. Thanks for sharing.