We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great concern on how you categoize restaurants & its effects

Vilanova i la...
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Topic
Great concern on how you categoize restaurants & its effects

Good day to you,

My name is Paulo Dos Santos and I´m the co-owner of Sushilounge ID1809573.

My concern is quite simply put, that potential business is being affected by your website, due to its form of ranking, because one cannot categorize an ice-cream parlour, or bar with snacks in the same league as a restaurant that has table service by profesional waiters and cocktail barmen.

This needs to be addressed as soon as possible, because thanks to your generalized form of categorizing restaurants, with whatever gets uploaded in the area,our placing of 1st in Vilanova (which has been so for the last 2yrs running with over 250 reviews to date) has been simply ¨bumped¨off the top by other establishments which have a much less form of client service for the users to enjoy, who rely on your website to see which is the best place to go.

Thus, due to this bad oversight on your part, our certificate of excellence that we receive on a regular basis, also didn´t arrive this year, once again proving the fact that your website will slowly not be taken too seriously in the very near future.

Our request is that you rectify this problem as soon as possible, and if necessary do a proper re-count of the reviews, categorizing the correct outlets of service and contacting us with regards to this.

sincerely yours.

P. Dos Santos

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,234 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great concern on how you categoize restaurants & its effects

So your restaurant is losing business to a ice cream parlor and snack bar? Or you think it maybe losing business because of these rankings?

Or are you saying the general public cannot tell the difference between a ice cream parlor and a restaurant, and they will go to the number one ranked eatery, even if they wanted a different cuisine? Perfect example of going crazy about numbers.

Anyways, best you repost your concerns on the Owners Forum

Edited: 11 August 2014, 23:17
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great concern on how you categoize restaurants & its effects

The reviews reflect customer *satisfaction*.

With probably dozens of types of eateries world wide, and many millions of listings, I think it would be impossible to correctly fit them all into tidy categories.

-

I see that you are #6. Of the five restaurants ahead of you, only one is an ice cream parlour. #1 and #2 appear to be nice restaurants.

>>once again proving the fact that your website will slowly not be taken too seriously in the very near future.<<

Well, considering that TripAdvisor has been growing and growing for quite a few years, I think it will continue to be taken 'seriously' in the future :-)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,818 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great concern on how you categoize restaurants & its effects

I'll tell you something. If I own a diner or pub, I like a website where I can compete with the fancy places that charge $50 a plate. As Brit mentioned, these are consumer ratings based on customer satisfaction. Not official stars or rosettes or diamonds. Just the customer liking what they get. It works for me.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,444 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great concern on how you categoize restaurants & its effects

Hello Paulo ~

You have posted to an open forum, as all forums are. Open to all members to make comments. You have not reached a TA Office and we are not TA Staff.

I can assure you when I want to go to a fine dining restaurant with table service and professional staff, I will not go to an ice cream parlour because I see it is #1 or #2.

Unfortunately, there are no filters on your restaurant page to let people choose their cuisine type, price, neighbourhoods, dining options as many other forums can do. (I am looking at your page on the .com version of TA.) Especially with 127 restaurants listed on yours. Who wants to scroll through 120 restaurants just to look at the last 7? I don't know if the following page will demonstrate the filters down the left side or not. But your destinations restaurant page need them.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g154943-Vancouve…

I think all English language forums should show filters for restaurant pages.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 04:59
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,721 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great concern on how you categoize restaurants & its effects

A lot of reviewers, I think, look at value for money. A great cupcake for $5 can, in its own way, be nearly as satisfying as a $200 per plate dinner. No, you don't get the awesome service and great ambiance of a fine dining establishment, but you also don't have to stress about behaving properly, what to wear, getting weird food, what to tip, or the high prices.

I love all kinds of Japanese food (okay, except for natto), but I have to admit that when visiting Spain, I would probably try gelato first before going for sushi.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,234 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great concern on how you categoize restaurants & its effects

Lol CW, the fact you even know natto is impressive. It's a fair call as I even know some Japanese that don't like it.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,721 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great concern on how you categoize restaurants & its effects

Natto seems to be the Japanese equivalent of Vegemite.

8. Re: Great concern on how you categoize restaurants & its effects

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 05:17