We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviewers being notified when management responds

Labrador, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Reviewers being notified when management responds

It would be great if Trip Advisor would notify each reviewer of anytime we post a management response. Surely this would be easy to program into an algorithm?? Many reviewers often complain after they have left and havent even told us of issues during their stay allowing us to rectify. Once we can explain they are generally much happier once they understand. As the reviews are anonmoyous - we are unable to call or email personally to discuss (even though you can sometimes work out who it is) - so this would be a nice feature for our reviewers - it notifies them that we actually care and respond.. Thanks Danella

Tucson Arizona
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
540 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviewers being notified when management responds

I have been notified each and every time a management response to my review was posted. It takes a day or two, but TA always lets me know.

I appreciate that.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,044 posts
5,329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviewers being notified when management responds

As an active reviewer, we do receive notifications when business management responds to our reviews - some of the time.

Other times, we are not informed and only discover comments later, when referencing old review. Then we sometimes discover that at some point in the past, a hotel or restaurant owner has responded to our review. This has been the case for several years and has happened as recently as last month.

I can't say how often we are informed and how often we don't know about management comments (responses) to our reviews.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 00:46
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,086 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviewers being notified when management responds

If you wish, you can send a private message (PM) to the reviewer when a management response is published, just to let them know about the response.

There are some guidelines for what you can & can't say in a PM; I don't think a simple notification is against the guidelines. These Help Center links should help:

How do I send a private message? https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

What are the guidelines for private messages? https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviewers being notified when management responds

"Once we can explain they are generally much happier once they understand. "

Even if they're happy after you explain you should not insinuate that they should modify or remove their review. Just saying in case you don't know you can't do this.

Silvia

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,086 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviewers being notified when management responds

Very good point, Silvia.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviewers being notified when management responds

>>>Many reviewers often complain after they have left and havent even told us of issues during their stay allowing us to rectify<<<

Yes, it's a most unfortunate part of the industry, and the silent ones are the worst.

I think some hotel schools are teaching mind reading as part of the curriculum, some sort of Spock technique to use on guests.

Labrador, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviewers being notified when management responds

Hi Silvia

We never ask anyone to modify or remove their post - but we do always respond as we think its important for them to get their feedback. They took the time to give us their feedback int he first place, albeit sometimes a little too late when we cant do anything abou it :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reviewers being notified when management responds

And good on you for making the effort.

I'm sure you're more than aware, that complaints distinctly come in three forms - F2F, Private, and Public, and stats indicate that they have a general recovery percentage that loosely corresponds in that sequence (recoverable in theory, with 'recoverable' meaning the opportunity to turn it around and get them to return); F2F - 75%, Private - 50%, Public - 0%

The expanded theory is that those who do not choose options 1 and 2, but go straight to option 3, are almost impossible to turn around, for them to become a return guest. So whatever you respond to on a public arena, is effectively a visual band aid. Going by that, if you've posted a very decent MR, that's basically all you can do. Anything beyond that - even with a fruitful reply back, isn't likely to have a significant long term impact. So your efforts are better focused on present and future guests.

Mistakes happen, and all a business can do, is to respond and react the 'best they can'. No point exhausting yourself.

Best.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 10:22
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
412 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reviewers being notified when management responds

When I'm reading a TA review, if they've made negative comments I'd like to read brief management responses/explanations, so think they should be contained in your public response rather than try to open a private dialogue. I think quite a few reviewers check back to see if management have responded (I'm sure I get messages).

After all, the negative reviewer has already stayed there (& probably not planning to return regardless of what explanation they receive later), but if I'm going there or picking a resort/hotel I want to see whether the management has cared enough to respond, even if they've only said they are sorry they were not informed of the problems at the time so they could have done 'whatever' to rectify them for the guest.

For some reviews containing negative remarks I've even sent PMs myself to the reviewer to ask if they reported their problems at the time and what did management do. Surprising how many whinge only AFTER they get home & I wouldn't worry about trying to pacify them then.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 12:26
Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reviewers being notified when management responds

I have never been notified by TA when management has posted a response to a review of mine.

Also, I used to be notified when a review got a 'helpful' vote (an email headed "You wrote it, they loved it"), but I don't get those any more now either.