We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why aren't fake reviews by owners deleted?

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
830 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Why aren't fake reviews by owners deleted?

I really am struggling with this one - especially after reading other posts here asking why their reviews are deleted for what appears to be no reason and others responding with TA's firm posting rules and integrity to it's readers.

This is not usually something I would bother to report, but over six weeks ago I submitted a complaint after a new listed attraction flew up the rankings based on 'fake' reviews by the owners and their friends. After recieving the email from TA requesting information that backed up these claims (telling me they took these things very seriously) I duly mailed back the supporting links.

Yet despite this supporting evidence leaving no doubt that these reviews were written by the owners, no action has been taken and no further correspondence recieved.

Has this one just slipped through the net, or is the original follow up email the extent of TA's integrity to it's readers?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why aren't fake reviews by owners deleted?

6 weeks seems like a long time to wait for a reply from TA. But it is summer season and TA do get very busy in the summer. They do take fraud very seriously and take the necessary time to investigate. This may mean communication with the business which may take time in itself.

What kind of supporting evidence (supporting links?) could you possibly have, unless you are connected to the business too, that shows these reviews are fake?

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
830 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why aren't fake reviews by owners deleted?

The owner and business partners public blog - a seperate identity than the business website detailing the business set up, naming all the partners who then reviewed their business under their own names - claiming to be happy customers. I understand that TA is busy - but it really doesn't take much investigation time to check that one out surely?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,656 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why aren't fake reviews by owners deleted?

Something like that sounds complex, involving a number of factors. It could very well take a chunk of time for TA to investigate. Especially of they have a hundred other similar complaints to investigate and a small office staff to do it.

In any event, TA will eventually make a decision. Whatever that decision is, we all have to accept it. There is no appeal procedure.

4. Re: Why aren't fake reviews by owners deleted?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 12:25
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,724 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why aren't fake reviews by owners deleted?

Kirby, there are enough fake reviews of Vietnamese establishments to keep the relevant TA staff busy their entire time, let alone attend to the thousands of other destinations worldwide.

Hanoi hotels are a particular bugbear, not only because of reviews faked by hotel managers and other staff, which to a certain extent has been going on since the inception of the Vietnam forum, but also because even the top-ranking hotels whose places in the hierarchy were once due entirely to merit are now employing professional English-speaking review writers in order to retain their places.

I've given up trying to do anything about it, and nowadays rely more on reviews on Agoda and booking.com when choosing a hotel.

6. Re: Why aren't fake reviews by owners deleted?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 07:16