We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like to see expanded rating summary

Concord, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Would like to see expanded rating summary

I just found this forum so this subject may have already been addressed, so apologies if that is the case. But I am frequently frustrated by having to choose between 3 stars "average" and 4 stars "very good." There is a wide range of properties that are better than average but less than very good. Similarly, I think a top grade should be used sparingly, so I would like another category above excellent. Also, I was disturbed to see that the "value" block in the sub-grading area had been removed. Obviously an expensive property should be better than a cheaper one, so there has to be someway to factor in the value. Here is how I would restructure the stars:

1. Terrible 2. Poor 3. Average 4. Above Average 5. Excellent 6. Outstanding

I would then reinstate the "value" block to further define the property. I think this might be helpful in better defining a property.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,385 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would like to see expanded rating summary

Yes this has been mentioned numerous times in various formats. Here's a fairly recent one

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k7435…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,618 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would like to see expanded rating summary

This discussion has come up quite regularly over the years. There are mountains (literally millions) of reviews on system based on the 5 scale rating system.

Would be very difficult at this stage to back-fit all past reviews into a 6+ scale rating scheme and impossible to decide which would be the 5 excellent and 6 outstanding as you have suggested.

Interestingly, these adjectives (excellent and outstanding) are synonyms of each other so it might be difficult to decide between them when trying to quality a review as a 5 or 6.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would like to see expanded rating summary

5=Superior, 4=Excellent, 3=Good, 2=Fair, 1=Poor

-or-

5=Very Satisfied, 4=Satisfied, 3=Neutral, 2=Dissatisfied, 1=Very Dissatisfied

I think both are clear, both are specific and descriptive, both are better than the current descriptors, and both maintain the 1-5 system already in place.

Concord, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would like to see expanded rating summary

I like it!

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
775 posts
640 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would like to see expanded rating summary

As has been said, this subject is raised continually. My own view is that the content of a good review says more than an overall rating (although the ratings/rankings are doubtless of greater concern to business owners), but the fact that the subject is a regular source of complaint must show that it is of concern to contributors

The problem is that ‘average’ covers anything from ‘fair’ (not as bad as poor, but not particularly good) through ‘mediocre’ (acceptable but nothing special) up to ‘good’ (of good standard but not that superior to merit very good). Furthermore, ‘average’ means different things to different people. Some people interpret average as not particularly good, whereas to others it means ‘normal’ or ‘standard’, even where the standard is good. As an example of this, Indian restaurants in UK are a common feature in towns throughout the country, and about 70% of them provide good, if broadly similar, curry dishes. Therefore although I might enjoy a meal, to me it would be average because although good it would be similar to hundreds of other places up and down the country. The same reasoning applies to pubs.

To add my own two-pennyworth to the many suggestions on the subject that have already been put forward, I would suggest the following grades with accompanying explanatory words for guidance, which would hopefully make it clearer for all and give greater consistency.

EXCELLENT (exemplary, outstanding or top-notch)

VERY GOOD (not quite outstanding, but very good nonetheless)

GOOD (Pleasing, enjoyable and of a good standard)

MEDIOCRE (acceptable but nothing special; passable; run-of-the-mill)

POOR (inadequate; below average; second rate; unsatisfactory)

TERRIBLE (bad without any redeeming features; dreadful)

Alternatively (as has already been suggested in the past) a 10-point scale between the two above extremes.

I realise that it may be more difficult to introduce a six or ten-point system than redefine the existing 5-point system as it would mean having two systems running side by side for a time, but I do think that it would be an improvement on the current systems and lessen the regular complaints that TA does not allow for a ‘good’ marking. However, I doubt that anything will change despite the regular raising of the topic.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would like to see expanded rating summary

I'm even ok with the "slider" idea from "Very satisfied" to "very dissatisfied." My big issue with "average", though, is that it doesn't describe anything. And, does it mean average for that specific property type (i.e. average motel, average luxury hotel, etc.)? Does it mean average across the board? Or, does it mean my own personal average? I've been very satisfied with the places I've chosen overall, so if the latter is the case, there are a lot of pretty good places that would be very disappointed in my 3-dot rating. Now, I know many TA regulars say to just use it as a straight 1-to-5, but it isn't worded that way. It seems that there are enough well-intentioned members trying to do the right thing by assigning the appropriate number that TA may want to take a look at this.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would like to see expanded rating summary

>>Obviously an expensive property should be better than a cheaper one<<

Hmmm, what do you mean by "better"? More services, yes. Fancier bathroom counter? Yes. More obsequiousness... probably ;-)

TripAdvisor reviews express a person's satisfaction and there is no reason a 'cheap' property cannot provide an excellent level of satisfaction if one is not expecting the Ritz.

-

>>

5=Very Satisfied,

4=Satisfied,

3=Neutral,

2=Dissatisfied,

1=Very Dissatisfied

<<

Brilliant! It would be blessedly obvious then that one's TA review is marking one's *satisfaction* only!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would like to see expanded rating summary

I've always liked the other option I suggested, mostly because I've used it for the last 20 years. But, seeing it as a very self-explanatory system, I'm liking the "satisfaction" scale more and more. When you think about it, the current system is two "good" ratings, two "bad" ratings, and one very poorly defined mid-point. The satisfaction scale keeps that, but (if I do say so myself) words it better for those actually trying to assign an appropriate number. No need to go nuts with the PI, and no dispute of expensive/fancy propeties always getting the top ratings. It's a win-win. Go me (lol).

Edited: 24 August 2014, 06:36
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would like to see expanded rating summary

Just don't be expecting a raise, LOL ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,385 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would like to see expanded rating summary

I actually don't mind either of the ones you've suggested EC.

As mentioned by hB, it does make it hugely more obvious than the one currently in place.

I've tried a different gauge - Layman's

5 = Chuck Norris

4 = Sliced Bread

3 = pH7

2 = Sarin Gas

1 = Titanic (the movie)