We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why no "quote" facility?

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Why no "quote" facility?

Most of the forums I've read allow the users to "quote" entire posts, and sometimes even mutiple posts.

When you go to "Add Reply", the posts are then waiting for you, with details of the original poster. It only takes a moment to delete the portions you don't want (and indicate that you've done that).

It's also easy, if necessary, to produce parts of a long post as separate quotes.

Answer the point(s), and Submit. The quotes than appear on a different background, and are clearly labelled as 'Quote'.

Is there any reason TA shouldn't have this facility? Members use various methods of indicating quotes; some don't even bother, which is really confusing!

Edited: 30 August 2014, 13:39
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why no "quote" facility?

Please see this recent discussion:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k7690620-…

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why no "quote" facility?

Thanks, Country_Wife, I hadn't seen that thread, because I found out about this forum only a couple of days ago. Though I have added a comment, which I hope is helpful.

It's true that posters who quote a huge post, to add a minor comment, are a nuisance. Maybe as a compromise, TA would allow posters to copy and post a limited amount, and then put a border around it.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why no "quote" facility?

You can do that, just "copy and paste, but... preface your "quote with << and end with >> if you must...

They usually turn up in "arguements" though, IME...

Edited: 30 August 2014, 23:32
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,757 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why no "quote" facility?

Why no "quote" facility? because when a thread is 9 posts long and each one quotes from the OP, a previous post or posts, I have to read the 9 posts several times in regurgitated form. It's like having the snippets and the new hotel ads scattered down a thread.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why no "quote" facility?

1. Uh, so you can refer back to it when you're writing the 63rd response?

2. That's a different topic. Feel free to start your own thread with your suggestion.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why no "quote" facility?

=======================================

Why is the the entire OP's post on every page ?

Don't you all ready know the topic?

=======================================

Actually I find that useful. Especially when it's a long OP, with a lot of detail.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why no "quote" facility?

Yeah, but you can read it, so why "quote" it??

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why no "quote" facility?

Many people do use quotes, so a consistent format would be a bit less confusing. Currently, some people use <<....>>, some use "...." , some

Even use *....* while others create their own 'borders' like #7 and some people just C&P the quote without indicating that it is a quote or perhaps just leaving a spacing between lines.

To have quotes in a different font or colour would standardize things and make it clearer.

It would also allow the reader to quickly skip over bits they don't want to read again since it's easy to see at a glance where the quote ends.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why no "quote" facility?

Post #9 - yes, that's sort of like people in general. We are all different and we do things differently. I don't see any problem in having several ways to show one is quoting!

>>To have quotes in a different font or colour would standardize things and make it clearer.<<

If you leave it up to individuals, there will still be differences. By that I mean if posters need to click another button to change the color or font. I can't see how by offering yet another option, it would standardize anything?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why no "quote" facility?

I think (I could be wrong) that what the OP was suggesting (and what I was agreeing with) was a system of inserting a quote and having it automatically display in a given format (different colour, different font, inside a box etc) with no option to change. It's a system commonly used on other forums.