We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laundries

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Laundries

Hi, I would like to suggest that Trip Advisor adds Laundries to their site. I own the laundry at the Habitat Centre @ Somerset Mall and during the holiday season many travelers bring us their laundry.

If you think about it - next to accommodation, restaurants and attractions - the other service that is vitally required by travelers is a reliable laundry. Travelers will always travel with very little luggage - so they will need to get their laundry done more often.

Just like the other listings on TripAdvisor - travelers want to use a laundry that has been reviewed and approved by other travelers.

I look forward to your reply.

Vanessa Jones

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laundries

I appreciate your suggestion, but I'm not sure if TA is the best place for these types of listings. At this point (and it could change for all I know), TA seems to be content to stick with their strengths what to see, where to stay and where to eat, and I tend to agree with that strategy. My concern is for this travel site to try to replace Google and, essentially, bite off more than they can chew.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,345 posts
820 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laundries

There are other places on the web to look for this sort of thing. TA is not Google.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,843 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Laundries

it is something that does come up on the destination forums and personally i think that is the place to get info from rather than even more listings on TA,it is cluttered enough as it is.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,994 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laundries

Vanessa,

I too am with the others.

In my industry experience, laundries/laundering services for travellers are directly tied in with guests at local accommodation. So in terms of advertising and marketing, I'd be making a more concerted effort to get your business name familiar with the staff of the accommodation providers. And I mean across the board, from front desk clerks to concierge. You could even offer recommendation incentives per each bag wash.

This also has a secondary benefit, in that once you are known, local businesses may even update their hotel listing, with the inclusion of laundry services 'nearby' on their hotel/listing descriptors.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 19:43
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,394 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laundries

I am for the idea to have a section on amenities such laundromats or supermarket on the destination page. Yes one can google it or use the GPS to locate them, but often these information are not up to date. I have gone to one laundromat in Bordeaux recently that I found by google, but when I got there during the opening hours indicated online the shop was locked up and there was no sign whatsoever about the opeations. I posted a question on the Bordeaux forum and got no answer!

If the laundomat is not nearby most hotels won't even be able to tell you, so it will be good for TA to include such info somehow.

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laundries

All the replies are greatly appreciated. I have approached various local hotels, guest houses and bed and breakfasts but they prefer to promote their in house laundry services, which I respect. The travelers that have used our laundry have done so because the laundry prices of the establishments have been too expensive for them. I understand that their prices are going to be higher than ours because they do not have all the facilities and laundry solutions that we have access too.

I am listed on goggle and various social platforms and thank you all for your input.

Take care and happy travels!

7. Re: Laundries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 05:16