We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelon

Waihi, New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Cancelon

Well, can I ask if Cancelon is still a Trip Advisor "partner" ? .. it appears that they are a trader of unused hotel reservations not a true booking agency as such. My booking for Rarotonga doesn't exist .. despite numerous "final confirmation" emails from Cancelon.. Resort says that since speaking to me they've had several people turn up expecting a reservation and to be sadly disappointed. Not to mention out of pocket!! Very very disappointing. (And yes I got caught out trusting Trip Advisor and not doing my own research ... novice error. Will research comments on Trip Advisor but will contact hotels direct in future to do my own bookings).

30 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
26,505 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancelon

We are just members like you on this forum. You would need to speak to TripAdvisor Staff about their "partners". Open this General Support link below, then click on My User Account, a menu box will appear so select Hotel Bookings. Another menu box appears so select Problem with Booking. Scroll down and type into the comments box and submit-

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/GeneralSupport

Wise words of yours about in future just using TripAdvisor for research and reading, and booking elsewhere on more reliable sites. Many of us wouldn't ever click to book anything from here. I look at hotel reviews, use the forums to research, but then book hotels on sites I regularly use and trust.

Save or bookmark the forums homepage link below. That gives you access to all the Destination and Beyond Destination forums. You can ask other members questions about Holiday places and cities, or ask about Air Travel, Train Travel etc, and also use the search boxes above the forum questions to type in any company name, eg. Cancelon and then choose 'All Forums' to search. That brings up all topics on them.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ForumHome

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,005 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancelon

An ongoing thread about Cancelon, which will simply confirm what you've stated

https:/…65327518

>>>Will research comments on Trip Advisor but will contact hotels direct in future to do my own bookings<<<

Very wise idea

Waihi, New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancelon

Thanks for your advice. I'm just concerned that it's obviously been an ongoing issue and Trip Advisor didn't seem to be taking any action. Just don't want other people to get suckered in!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,005 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancelon

You can only do so much to protect others.

You could have multiple threads with thousands of warnings/caution posts, but that won't stop people not bothering to research unfortunately.

For each million that advises you, there's another million who find out the hard way.

Edited: 23 February 2017, 07:44
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancelon

I "booked" a hotel in Jackson Hole, WY through Tripadvisor/Cancelon. The hotel never received my information, my card was charged, Cancelon did just what their name says and reached out to me to "Cancel" the reservation that never existed because rooms were totally booked. I called the hotel and they have plenty of rooms available. The correspondence from Cancelon was in broken English and I need to speak to someone at TripAdvisor ASAP! I have never had such a crazy thing happen. Please respond to me TripAdvisor!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,766 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancelon

>>Please respond to me TripAdvisor!<<

This forum, like all the forums on TripAdvisor, is primarily member driven, peer-to-peer assistance. It is NOT an effective way of contacting TA staff.

I would suggest having a look at the "Top Questions" area to the right of this page and reading the entry titled "Contact Info for ISSUES with HOTEL BOOKINGS made on TripAdvisor".

(not visible when using the TA app)

Best Regards

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancelon

I have to post and post more to get in contact with someone? I WAS SCAMMED by cancelon and the hotel I booked is investigating everything! I want my money back. I want an explanation!

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,505 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancelon

Kristen,

If you scroll up to reply number 1 up above. I wrote that reply and I give the General Support link and instructions on how to contact TripAdvisor Staff. Please contact them for an explanation.

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancelon

I own a Real Estate company in Vail and my attorney is being contacted immediately.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,505 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancelon

Kristen,

Please slow down a bit and read all the replies in this topic. I have given instructions on how to contact TripAdvisor Staff.

Reply to: Cancelon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted