We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Account hacked and fake review of restaurant posted

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
TA Account hacked and fake review of restaurant posted

I noticed that a few days ago, "I" apparently posted a review of a restaurant in Florence, Italy, that I've never been to. The review was posted from a mobile device; I do not bother to use my TA account on a mobile device.

The review was written in poor English and clearly looked like a hack job. To answer the rote response that seems to get posed anytime someone reports a hack: No, I did not leave my computer unattended, nor do I use it in public places, and I change my password regularly. I also work in cybersecurity, so I am quite aware that ANY web-based account that is accessible with an email address (such TA's account login system) can typically be hacked by most junior high-level hackers if the security of the website is lax.

Has anyone had any luck getting an actual response from TA Support on these types of account hacks? I find this hack to be quite annoying as I am careful about how I access TA. It seems to me they may have a very weak security system, as I've noticed that I'm not the only one mentioning TA account hacking.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. I'd hate to delete my TA account because of weak security on their end.

Oh, and btw - forcing a user to contact the Help Center to remove a review is a very drawn out process. I'm guessing this policy is in place to keep as many reviews as possible on the site. However, it forces those of us who discover hacked accounts and fake reviews to jump through even more hoops to report fraud.

It needs to be easier to remove one's review from the TA site if you truly care about being customer friendly.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 20:43
3 replies to this topic
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
46,276 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA Account hacked and fake review of restaurant posted

Since you're a cybersecurity expert, I won't attempt to address your issue with not being you who posted this review. But your comment: "Oh, and btw - forcing a user to contact the Help Center to remove a review is a very drawn out process."

How? www.tripadvisor.com/usereviewsupport It doesn't require you to jump through any hoops.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,875 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA Account hacked and fake review of restaurant posted

Do you hav e an e-mail address- there is a known flaw that causes punctuation marks in those addresses to be disregarded by TA- so it may have been a mix up- not a 'hacking" I agree with the other poster that getting a ny review you allegedly wrote removed is pretty simple- I don't understand why doing that is a problem..

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
929 posts
1,959 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA Account hacked and fake review of restaurant posted

Have you tried clicking on the gray flag at the bottom of the review you claim you did not write? Do that, click on MORE OPTIONS, click NEXT, click on I WANT TO REPORT SOMETHING ELSE, click NEXT, and let tripadvisor know what is happening. However, it's much more likely to get action if you:

Go to this site: https://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

....click on MY USER ACCOUNT ICON

....next to WHAT TYPE OF QUESTION DO YOU HAVE click on REVIEW

....next to WHAT ACTION DO YOU WANT TO TAKE click on the appropriate action

....next to WHICH REVIEW scroll to the review you want the action to be taken on (if it's listed there)

....next to PLEASE TELL US WHY YOU WOULD LIKE TO REMOVE THE REVIEW click the reason

If the review isn't listed then click on QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS, then click on REPORT A PROBLEM, and then explain what is happening.

Reply to: TA Account hacked and fake review of restaurant posted
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted