We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

2 posts
is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

I tried to rent a house and the owner told me since she is not in the country she'll do it through trip advisor. the link she sent me for the booking has a weird format like this:

http://tripadvisor-pre-approved953xx.ap84379.site

is this a scam or is it really a trip advisor link.

to make things more weird, you can sign in with any email you want, even if you tyoe the password wrong.

43 replies to this topic
Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
50,820 posts
101 reviews
449 helpful votes
1. Re: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

I can't open the link, but it's undoubtedly a scam.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
12,246 posts
1,026 reviews
5,337 helpful votes
2. Re: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

Greetings babak, and welcome to the forum.

This is an ongoing scam, and many have lost thousands on this fraud. How fortunate that you were alert and skeptical! .

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
108,641 posts
99 reviews
638 helpful votes
3. Re: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

Hi babak;

TA staff have previously posted the following caution:

“We do not work with [...] any type of properties that require a lease […] so please do not follow through with this situation!

[...]

For most people, the scam has generally been offering apartments at a great deal and then has something to do with submitting a “refundable” security deposit and/or having TripAdvisor staff help with the process. This is NOT a real offer!”

TripAdvisor is a website only. They do NOT employ staff to conduct viewings, sign agreements, hand out keys, etc.

Additionally, TA’s “Book Safe” staff added…

“As a security measure, Tripadvisor only accepts payments via credit or debit card or PayPal, never Bank Transfer, Western Union, MoneyGram, Bitcoin, or similar services and only through our own website.

https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/en-GB/hc/traveler/articles/571

If you have made a payment, we advise you to contact your bank, or credit card company if applicable, as soon as possible to recover your payment. We also ask that you report this case to the Police.

We will happily assist with any investigations carried out by the authorities to successfully resolve this matter.”

RUN...do not walk away from this "deal" !!!

To alert TA staff, send an email to…

abuse@tripadvisor.com

Best Regards

2 posts
4. Re: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

Thank you very much to everyone for your responses. I will report it to the TA staff.

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
108,641 posts
99 reviews
638 helpful votes
5. Re: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

You're welcome!

Stockton-on-Tees...
1 post
2 reviews
6. Re: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

Hello,

I looking for villa in Nerja in Spain for short stay. I find advert on booking.com however didn't contain great number of pictures for properties so I contacted them though whatapp. There told me this propert is already book, but there have similar and there sent me below link

https://tripadvisor-pre-approved-b96f-a978c57e36a5.tesir.cfd/d07f/villa-nerja-hermosa-vista/73efbe

This is protent to be tripadvisor website - villa have 5 starr review and all looks very legit until I click reserved and there appears information about payment. There ask me to pay whole money by bank to bank transfer. Fortunately I do realise that's sounds like scam.

I can't attached picture here but if TripAdvisor what investigate I took few screenshot before there removed website.

West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
108,641 posts
99 reviews
638 helpful votes
7. Re: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

Hi Adrian;

TripAdvisor’s management are NOT interested in staffing the forums, preferring to leave them to be peer-to-peer assistance. It is NOT an effective way of contacting TA staff.

TA staff are easily identified by the prefix "TA" before their name, IE – TA Jack or TA Jill and the words “TripAdvisor Staff” below it.

Please refer to reply #3 above and contact TA staff.

Best Regards

California
Level Contributor
75,153 posts
1,870 reviews
472 helpful votes
8. Re: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

It says above, Adrian, in this thread you have posted in, that this is a scam.

Antwerp, Belgium
2 posts
9. Re: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

Hello, j would like to ask if this a scam does tripadvisor agent and host cancel last minute appointments i rented a appartment in Belgium and they resceduled my appoinment.

https://tripadvisor-pre-approved48785605-910l15y1223a36.ap35517.cfd/1d03/2-beds-1-bath-apartment-rentals-antwerpen/1fe97b

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
33,945 posts
358 reviews
1,183 helpful votes
10. Re: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?

Jason, read the thread. The link you have provided is also a scam and not a real Tripadvisor web page.

Reply to: is there a preapproved tripadvisor website or is it scam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.