We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,397 posts
187 reviews
242 helpful votes
Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

I've been reading reviews for a Drury Inn in San Antonio, Texas, and noticed that a large number of reviews were for Drury Inns in other cities. I flagged 19 reviews going back the last few months. I received emails that 8 were removed. I also received emails for the remaining 11 with the following message:

"...We understand that you have stated the following concern about this review: Posted to wrong location

We have looked into the concern you raised and evaluated all other aspects of the review in question. We do not consider the content to be unlawful, and have determined that it meets our submission guidelines and so the review will remain posted on Tripadvisor.

Please note that Tripadvisor may use automated moderation systems for processing reports about content on our site."

Some of the reviews even mention the erroneous location in the title. These other locations were Columbus, Jackson MO, Terre Haute, Valdosta, Universal, Disney Springs, Nashville, and St. Louis.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60956-d123559-Reviews-Drury_Inn_Suites_San_Antonio_Riverwalk-San_Antonio_Texas.html

10 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
101,442 posts
234 reviews
194 helpful votes
1. Re: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

Hi

I recently reported a review for being in the wrong location and received the same "We do not consider the content to be unlawful" reply. A day later, the review was gone from the wrong listing. I did not check to see where it went as I was just glad it was gone.

I think the generic replies don't make sense.

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
20,341 posts
90 reviews
224 helpful votes
2. Re: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

Several threads running about the ridiculous emails.

In nearly all cases, the reviews are relocated or removed, despite the ludicrous response from TA_

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k14650298-Not_Good_Enough_TA-Help_us_make_Tripadvisor_better.html

Edited: 20 February 2024, 04:22
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,397 posts
187 reviews
242 helpful votes
3. Re: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

PNW, I'll have to check and see if the reviews I flagged are gone in a few days.

algarveaddict, Thank you for the link to that discussion.

If a review that is obviously posted to the wrong location is allowed to remain, that makes me question the credibility of the rankings.

There is yet another wrong location review posted since yesterday, this one mentions the Drury Hotel West Loop Houston. Who knows how many of the other reviews that don't specifically mention location are posted to the wrong hotel?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,442 posts
234 reviews
194 helpful votes
4. Re: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

If the hotel you are researching has not been claimed, maybe you can suggest an improvement to the listing by coming up with a more descriptive name.

The 3 sided cement block rustic buildings that are called "Housekeeping Camp" in Yosemite get reviews of great maid / housekeeping service from all over the world. The latest was someone's maid service in a Dubai hotel. Maybe I can try to rename it "Yosemite's Housekeeping Camp" or "Housekeeping Camp in Yosemite"

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
81 reviews
102 helpful votes
5. Re: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

I'll add a link to my similar post from 22 Jan 2024:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k14645804-Restaurant_Hotel_reviews_on_wrong_listing-Tripadvisor_Support.html#119794103

As I said on there the reviews had been moved. I had another batch last week where I'd reported reviews that referred to a "drive thru" on a town-centre site with no drive thru. As far as I can tell there's no listing for the drive thru (physically about a mile away from the town-centre operation) so I couldn't give TA a link for the correct listing. I got the same response quoted - the drive thru reviews have gone from the town-centre - I haven't checked to see if a new listing has been created for the drive thru.

Muddled restaurant and hotel reviews annoy me - I have suggested on HUMTAB that where premises have listings in both categories there should be a flag asking reviewers to check they're posting on the correct location. I can't see TA's software team writing that type of feature when they could be doing "arty" things with owls and adverts in places that obscure text etc.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,442 posts
234 reviews
194 helpful votes
6. Re: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

CheresX ~ that's a great suggestion. But it's unlikely TA will act on it. Sigh.

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
20,341 posts
90 reviews
224 helpful votes
7. Re: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

Whenever there are confused listings, same name, I suggest an edit. Adding the word ‘Restaurant’ ….’Hotel’ ….or adding the Town/Regional name etc.

It’s successful in about 50% of requests and does make a difference.

I also often make the edit request in the comment box when flagging a review as ‘wrong location’

Repeated (C&P’d) multiple times, seems to work.

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,442 posts
234 reviews
194 helpful votes
8. Re: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

It worked! I requested a name change for Housekeeping Camp. It remains to be seen if that stops folks from writing reviews of their wonderful housekeeper/maid on this listing, but it's a reasonable attempt.

In the past I requested all the Ahwahnee names to be changed - Ahwahnee Hotel, Ahwahnee Dining Room, Ahwahnee Historic Building.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,397 posts
187 reviews
242 helpful votes
9. Re: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

There is a management response from this hotel (a Drury Inn in San Antonio) to a February 19 review where the reviewer mentions no heat in a snowstorm and gives a 1 bubble rating. The hotel responded, "Thank you for sharing your review, however there has been a mix up in the link attached to Tripadvisor causing this review to be posted to the incorrect hotel location. If you could please e-mail us at customer.service@druryhotels.com to provide what location your (sic) stayed at so your concerns can be addressed appropriately."

The hotel didn't address any of the 5 bubble reviews that were posted in the wrong location😉

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,442 posts
234 reviews
194 helpful votes
10. Re: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location

That is exactly what savvy management/owners do. Can you blame them?

Reply to: Reviews Posted to Wrong Location
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.