We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machine Translations

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
20,504 posts
90 reviews
224 helpful votes
Machine Translations

This is new, just finding this on review pages….

‘ These reviews are machine translated from English. Show machine translations?’

With the option to select Yes/No

I always thought Google Translate was a machine translation?

14 replies to this topic
East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
20,504 posts
90 reviews
224 helpful votes
1. Re: Machine Translations

Should have included a link….

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g775995-d27133613-Reviews-Sabor_da_Brasa_Chefe_Loro-Guia_Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
87,647 posts
62 reviews
97 helpful votes
2. Re: Machine Translations

I am on .com. The reviews are set for the English ones, but when I choose Portuguese or French, I see the Google translate button.

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
20,504 posts
90 reviews
224 helpful votes
3. Re: Machine Translations

I’m using the ‘All Languages’ filter.

Beneath the filters, just above the first review, I’m seeing the ‘machine translated’ statement as in my OP

Obviously it’s part of a new bodged ‘Ollie improvement’ as since first posting, I now have a new ‘Rate Translation’ beside some reviews, apart from the first one which is in the original language with the normal Google Translate button.

Every review below that is shown in English, with some of them (obviously those originally in another language) having a ‘Rate Translation’ next to them.

A drop down menu, with stupid, coloured, smiley faces. Green, amber, red.

Good

OK

Bad

What I’m not understanding, is how on earth are you supposed to rate a translation, if it appears in English and you don’t have the original??

Even if you did have both, you’d need to speak both languages in order to rate it. How do you know whether the translation is any good?

If you spoke both languages, would you need a translation?

Lost the plot TA_ strikes again!

Edited: 14 April 2024, 19:50
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
12,242 posts
1,026 reviews
5,337 helpful votes
4. Re: Machine Translations

Algarveaddict, I am seeing the exact same thing that you are seeing.

Beyond ridiculous!

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
20,504 posts
90 reviews
224 helpful votes
5. Re: Machine Translations

Do you think they’re just a bit late with April Fools?

And how exactly do you translate reviews “from English” to English ?

Edited: 14 April 2024, 22:27
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
87,647 posts
62 reviews
97 helpful votes
6. Re: Machine Translations

I did not receive an email notification of further activity in this thread. Hmmm.

I now see the quote in the OP and the Yes/No option. The little "i" next to that statement declares all translations are provided by Google translate; it's a whole blurb about this and that. Whew, I think it is written by AI, tbh. It's a pop up, so not able to copy/paste it.

I guess there will be a fair number of readers who will speak both Portuguese and English who could fairly rate the translation. It won't be me, that's for sure. It sounds as though TA are doing an evaluation of something.

Interestingly, I chose a French city to see the reviews of restaurants. I chose "all languages" and the reviews for the city's restos all came up in English. When I clicked on a review title, I was taken to the individual review which is written in French.

When I chose "French" the reviews all came up in English but when I clicked on the review title, I could read the review in French. When choosing the French reviews, a sentence underneath that selection says: "These reviews are machine translated from English." NO, they were translated from French.

When I chose "Dutch" the reviews came up in Dutch. Under each review in the list, I am given the option of reading the Google translate version in English. The same as I am used to seeing.

My word, what a tangled website we weave. (Sorry, Will)

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
20,504 posts
90 reviews
224 helpful votes
7. Re: Machine Translations

“ I guess there will be a fair number of readers who will speak both Portuguese and English who could fairly rate the translation.”

I agree but you’re only being presented with them in English, unless you go through the rigmarole of expanding the review, as you discovered.

So I’m just not sure how anyone is supposed to rate the translation?

As said, they’re definitely not translated from English!

I think someone in the IT dept. has been on the wacky baccy!

South East England...
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
11,670 posts
6 reviews
43 helpful votes
8. Re: Machine Translations

I'm having a new problem in that I used to go to the "Recent Lucca Reviews" page which came up in English, I then clicked on a review and selected "all languages" then returned to the recent Lucca reviews page and all the reviews in other languages would appear in date order. This now doesn't happen, only reviews in English show. I've found some good restaurants in the past that I wouldn't have come across if only the English language was shown. Very frustrated at this new "improvement".

mesh

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
9. Re: Machine Translations

Hi Algarve Addict

Followed your link and clicked all languages. This showed all the reviews, regardless of language, with a clickable button for Google translation, which did the obvious.

I think the reviews were ordered by date, but there were only 6 so can't be certain.

There was no option to rate the translation. So possibly TA spotted and corrected things, or perhaps they read your comments :)

Overall, I like it. It's useful to be able to easily read foreign language reviews, rather than just be left with almost no guidance.

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
20,504 posts
90 reviews
224 helpful votes
10. Re: Machine Translations

Hi mesh,

I did post about this a few weeks back.

Workaround that still works atm…..

Go to All Reviews page…..select any restaurant review, click on the actual review to expand, not on the listing.

Scroll down from the review and you should still get the old format. Click on any language, doesn’t matter which one, then click again on All languages, allow this to load and then back up to All Reviews page.

Edited: 15 April 2024, 15:00
Reply to: Machine Translations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.