We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moderation has changed

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23,459 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
Moderation has changed

Before reported posts would just get removed automatically if there were enough reports.

But now it seems each one is checked by a moderator.

Problem is this can days or longer.

Also the email does not always tie up with the action. One today said it was not removed but when I checked it has gone.

One my posts if it removed I can object if I'm in the EU.

How do object if I'm not in the EU? Who do I contact?

Can't understand why some of myremoved posts break any rules.

Maybe TA should be clearer for the reasons.

27 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
101,788 posts
234 reviews
194 helpful votes
1. Re: Moderation has changed

Hi

"Can't understand why some of myremoved posts break any rules."

Folks here on this forum might be able to help.

"Maybe TA should be clearer for the reasons"

I think they are vague on purpose. If they give too much information, "bad guys" can figure out how to slip past the guidelines.

Yes, forum moderation has changed.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23,459 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
2. Re: Moderation has changed

Sorry, I should have said right of appeal, not object.

What about the rest of the world, outside the EU?

Last week I reported some spam, it was removed. But the spammer replaced it, then the mods said it was not against the rules,

Wrexham, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Traveling With Disabilities
Level Contributor
4,474 posts
362 reviews
313 helpful votes
3. Re: Moderation has changed

I think it's to do with EU regulations. But it's hard to object to something you can't see! All a bit pointless.

I've been unhappy at first with what was removed. But in the last few days I've seen good removals.

There was a vague post on the disability forum about public transport. 2 replies asked him to be more specific. I was suspicious and asked was it a survey. A few days later TA removed the topic, but quicker action would have been better.

Yesterday mid-afternoon I reported a post as advertising. It was a few days old, it was gone by the evening.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
157,390 posts
8,714 reviews
4,256 helpful votes
4. Re: Moderation has changed

in general the moderators seem to have added some categories like

You contributed to.a post we have removed and sent an email

I have NO idea why this is of importance to me if it is not a question I asked

They also have a forum where you are not allowed to note slanderous and lies and write rubbish

they let people attack other people.

called the off topic forum.

They have failed to move topics that are not for the area where the OP posted their question - when its hepful to have them do so. Sometimes they do do this.

These are my pet peeves -and yes its inconsistent recently.

Edited: 16 April 2024, 02:34
West Grey, Canada
Level Contributor
108,683 posts
99 reviews
638 helpful votes
5. Re: Moderation has changed

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The most consistent thing about TripAdvisor is its inconsistencies.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23,459 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
6. Re: Moderation has changed

Just got a load of emails from TA, telling me about removed posts.

One was removed about 3 weeks ago, don't know why they are telling me again today.

Moderation seems to be going a bit crazy. Is it by AI?

Lets hope they don't send them out every hour.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23,459 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
7. Re: Moderation has changed

It seems one person has been banned, who posted on a topic, instead of just removing their posts, they have removed the whole thing. No wonder I'm getting so many notifications. One topic was quite lengthy with over 80 posts on it, not all mine, l only had a few. You get notified about each removed post.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
87,731 posts
62 reviews
97 helpful votes
8. Re: Moderation has changed

TA moderation has indeed changed. If you report a post through the "Report inappropriate content" link in the bottom right corner of a post, you will get an email later that says something like this:

Greetings Tripadvisor Member

[Message]

The Tripadvisor Community Team

If a whole thread gets removed and it contains a contribution by you -

Greetings Tripadvisor Member

Our moderation team has removed a topic you contributed to in the TripAdvisor XYZ Forum:

"[Thread title]"

We occasionally remove entire topics from our forums when we determine that the conversation is disruptive or is no longer helpful to travelers.

The Tripadvisor Community Team

These generic emails come to my inbox overnight. The mods check each one and either reinstate it if it does not violate, or replace the post with a final staff template. I don't worry about these posts because the original post will have been replaced by a temporary template. The offending post is no longer in sight, but not yet changed to the final Staff template message.

I think these emails are generated by AI.

I one of my posts is removed, I will contact TA by using this template. I copy/paste the URL of the thread into the message box and identify my post #. I request that TA reinstate my post if it does not violate a guideline. So far so good.

Here is the template to use, worthwhile to bookmark it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport-a_category.62-a_topic.206-a_level3.10803

I do get mixed messages. Some say a post has been found to violate, but has not been removed when I check. I send in another ticket. Some say a post has been reinstated, but has not. I send in another ticket. I feel very frustrated sometimes that the action is not more timely, but in the end, the final mod decision is final for all time.

Now that I understand what is going on and how it works, I have no problem with deleting these AI emails from my inbox.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23,459 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
9. Re: Moderation has changed

The problem is whole threads are being removed and not coming back, just because of one member posting on it.

Also others are being removed for no apparent reason. Several I posted on had nothing disruptive on them.

Seems wrong to remove whole threads just because of a few troll posts.

Edited: 18 April 2024, 09:20
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23,459 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
10. Re: Moderation has changed

Certainly some bizarre post closures going on.

Someone asked about first trip to Thailand with her 2 children, closed within minutes.

Reply to: Moderation has changed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.