We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why does it take so long to upload photos?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Why does it take so long to upload photos?

I have been trying to upload photos from our Argentina trip in June/July and am still having trouble. The pictures take so long to upload--that it gets timed out and I have to start all over again. Even uploading just two photos takes an inordinate amount of time--uploading and posting (several days). Checked again to make sure that the photos meet the requirements and I think they do (JPG). Heard back from a frequenter poster on the ARgentina forum that she also has been having problems. Suggestions?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why does it take so long to upload photos?

I can think of a few technical reason that photos could take a long time to upload:

1) they are big in file size. Newer digital cameras are capable of making very detailed photographs, but more detail means the file size is bigger - regardless of what the dimensions of the picture are. Most of that extra detail goes to waste since monitors can't display it all, it's mainly for printing. Check the file size of the photos you are uploading, use photo editing software to reduce the file size try to aim for 30-50 kbytes. TA will reduce the photos to this size anyway - but it still takes time to upload the large file.

2) I assume you are on a broadband Internet connection, the upload speed is usually slower than the download speed. So that can add time.

3) the TA servers that accept incoming photos are just overloaded. I'd say try uploading in the off hours, but since TA is global I don't know exactly when that would be. I would shoot for after 7:00 PM in the evening. But that is just a big guess.

4) It could always be that TA is having a technical issue with uploads. You might want to ask TA directly - go to this page in the Help Center: www.tripadvisor.com/help/photo_requirements and click on the "Contact Us" link in the center of the page to send them an email about the situation.

Let us know what you hear!

Thanks

-Noah

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,552 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why does it take so long to upload photos?

It does sound like there is some sort of a problem going on here - I uploaded a 30-second video a couple of weeks ago, and it took at most 10 minutes to do it.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why does it take so long to upload photos?

Actually they say it is normal for videos to take 1 MB per minute. Also, I am also getting a really long upload time and posting for my photos and reviews too. So I think it's not your own problem but Tripadvisor, but it could also be your internet connection too as part of the slowing down.

4. Re: Why does it take so long to upload photos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 08:19