We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to rate without reviewing?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
How to rate without reviewing?

I'm trying to rate a restaurant without writing a review. I'm logged in. It has 6 rataings and 3 reviews, so it should be possible.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to rate without reviewing?

HI Shadow010,

I've noticed that too - where a restaurant has ratings but no reviews what-so-ever. I don't think us as TA members can contribute to those ratings. I'm not 100% sure where those numbers come from.

The only way I know of to contribute here, is to submit a review.

Maybe a more knowledgeable member or TA associate will be able to enlighten us both.

Good question,

-Noah

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,033 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to rate without reviewing?

You must have some reasons for wanting to giving the restaurant that rating. A sentence or three of explanation would serve as a review, and would greatly add to your review's credibility.

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
3. Re: How to rate without reviewing?

Hi Shadow010, PDXNoah and Country Wife,

The most useful reviews to other members are those where you actually say something about why you gave a restaurant a particular rating. So like Country Wife suggests, we do hope that you write at least a couple of sentences about your restaurant experience when rate a restaurant. In fact, when you rate a restaurant on the main TripAdvisor site, you need to provide a review along with it.

That said, we also have a restaurant review application on Facebook called Local Picks. When you review a restaurant on Local Picks we hope that you explain your rating and actually give a description of your experience there. However it is possible on Local Picks for members to simply rate a restaurant. Not a lot of people rate a restaurant without adding at least a short review, but some people do.

Since Local Picks restaurant reviews are available on the TripAdvisor site, this is why its possible to see some instances of restaurants being rated but not reviewed.

I hope this helps! By the way thanks so much both of you for submitting restaurant reviews!

Kind Regards,

TA_Jeanine

4. Re: How to rate without reviewing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 07:19