We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out of Business Restaurant/Posting a Non Listed Restaurant

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Out of Business Restaurant/Posting a Non Listed Restaurant

I've noticed several restaurants in my town that are now out of business are still listed on trip advisor. Also, how do you review something that isn't listed on tripadvisor. Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Out of Business Restaurant/Posting a Non Listed Restaurant

HI there.

Last question first - instructions for reviewing something that isn't already listed on TripAdvisor can be found on this page of the Help CenteR: tripadvisor.com/help/what_if_i_want_to_revie…

Basically you send in some information about what it is you want to review and they will reply to you when it is listed so you can submit the review. This has been taking some time, however - from what I have read this may take weeks, not just days. It may vary, but I submitted a new restaurant last week and it hasn't been listed yet.

And for your first question: You can report closed properties with this page in the Help CenteR: tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_alert_us_if_an_a… (use the "email" link in the second line, not the "change" links further down.)

Sometimes there is no "official" way of TA being notified of closures - and they rely on us to report them. Again - this takes a while to be completed probably because they are going to verify something like that before removing them from the site based on one report.

I hope that helps,

-Noah

P.S. Check out the "TA Support Forum" if you ever have a question on how something on TA works. We have a lot of helpful members who volunteer their time to to answer questions there.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Out of Business Restaurant/Posting a Non Listed Restaurant

I have also seen this where I live (closed restaurants, etc.) and have notified TA on several occasions but they have yet to be changed (and it has been much longer than weeks). I have also tried to add this to the restaurant description information (i.e. closed restaurants, new restaurants, incorrect locations, etc.) and I will check back later and this information has been removed. Heck, there is one restaurant in my area that has been closed for 5 years now and it's still on TA?????

What this has taught me is to NOT rely on restaurant ratings when I travel to other areas.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Out of Business Restaurant/Posting a Non Listed Restaurant

Hi lovetegacaysc,

Out of curiosity - how did you notify TA of the closures, what address did you send to, etc.

Thanks

-Noah

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
4. Re: Out of Business Restaurant/Posting a Non Listed Restaurant

lovetegacaysc,

I checked and we only received one notice of closure form you. Did you submit other ones from a different address?

Barbara-

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Out of Business Restaurant/Posting a Non Listed Restaurant

Sorry folks but I do not remember what forms/form I may have used since it has been some time ago. I do recall only one time that I received an email telling me that I had sent the information in on an incorrect form, and another situation where I was told the information would be passed on to the proper source.

My main objective was trying to make Trip Advisor a better site by passing on current information for the area in which I reside. I think many will agree that once something becomes to difficult or to time consuming then it is not worth the time and energy to assist in any way. My personal opinion is the site needs to be more streamlined when trying to provide reviews or closings.

Now I know this will not be on the proper form but this is only a small sampling of what is incorrect in my particular area and trip advisor my choose to do with it what they wish.

FORT MILL, SC

No Longer In Business:

DANIEL'S CHINESE EXPRESS

CLIFFORD'S CAFE (been gone almost 5 years now)

ODA'S RESTAURANT & TAVERN

STIR CRAZY (use to be Oda's Restaurant & Tavern, and now currently Steve & Kelly's)

MAMA MIA'S (now is JOHNNY K'S)

A & K DINER (now is PASSION 8 BISTRO)

GINNO'S PIZZA PLANET (now is CARMELLA'S PIZZA)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Out of Business Restaurant/Posting a Non Listed Restaurant

For the sake of full disclosure, here is the other side of the story with regards to adding new restaurants:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k2550844…

I love TA but not for restaurants.

7. Re: Out of Business Restaurant/Posting a Non Listed Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2009, 05:23