We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is NOT a Bed & Breakfast

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
This is NOT a Bed & Breakfast

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52206-d487446-…

The Amish View Inn & Suites is NOT a Bed & Breakfast. It is a hotel. Please correctly re-classify the listing immediately.

The B&B owners have a tough enough time getting recognized by Trip Advisor as it is. They're treated like step-children and don't need the added aggravation of having the big hotels stomping all over them in their own territory (what little of it there is on this site!)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,089 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This is NOT a Bed & Breakfast

Hi JuneBJones;

Have you looked at how TripAdvisor categorizes the accommodation listings?

I would suggest visiting the Help Centre page "About different kinds of accommodations listed on TripAdvisor” which explains how TripAdvisor categorizes the accommodation listings.

tripadvisor.com/help/about_different_kinds_o…

This forum is primarily member driven, and TripAdvisor staff will not take a request such as this via the forums. You will need to contact TA via your owner's page.

Best Regards

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This is NOT a Bed & Breakfast

HI there.

First, look over the listing requirements for a property to be listed as a hotel. You can find them here: www.tripadvisor.com/pages/getlisted.html (under the the green bar in the center column.) B&B becomes a catch-all category for many properties that do not meet all of T&A's requirements to be listed as a hotel. I do not know of the property you posted about, so I can't say if it meets the requirements or not.

Second - if it does qualify as a hotel listing, you need to inform TA of that - this forum is not a way to contact TA employees, you need to use a form to submit a change like this.

If you are the owner of this business - go to your Owner's Page here on TA, then click the "manage your listing" tab and then the link to "update listing details." On there, update anything that needs changing and in the comment box, include that you want to be recategorized as a hotel - also state that you read the requirements and you fit.

However - if you are not the owner, submit the request to recategorize using this form in the Help Center: tripadvisor.com/pages/getlisted_hotel_change… When it asks you for connection to the listing, choose "other."

I hope that helps,

Noah

10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: This is NOT a Bed & Breakfast

Hi JuneBJones, We can understand what you are going through. We were listed as a hotel for many years ranked between #1 and #2 in our location. Then, about 2-3 weeks ago after updating our details in the owners centre we found ourselves moved to the B&B/Inns tab.

We tried several times to get help from the support team but to no avail. We kept being asked to go back to the owners centre (as advised by Rescue team and PDXNoah above) and although we did as instructed (3 times) and satisfied all 4 requirements needed for hotel classification nothing was done. This is very frustrating. We are happy to be part of the Tripadvisor community and willing to face up to independent reviews (good or bad) but when Tripadvisor starts to interfere unfairly with listings that affects owner's businesses it is not acceptable. We are convinced that many more hotels are affected by this.

Rescue team, it is ok for you to say that the owners centre is the place to get help and support but by experience it is not working.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,089 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This is NOT a Bed & Breakfast

"Rescue team, it is ok for you to say that the owners centre is the place to get help and support but by experience it is not working."

Hi TyrGraig;

This forum is primarily member driven, peer-to-peer assistance. There is nothing that any of us on this forum can do to be of any further assistance other than to suggest sending TripAdvisor staff an email from your owner’s page.

www.tripadvisor.com/owners

Best Regards

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This is NOT a Bed & Breakfast

" but by experience it is not working"

Please consider outlining the exact problems you are having in the HUMTAB (Help Us Make TripAdvisor Better) forum - this Support forum is primarily a Q&A forum, but TA members and (sometimes) staff discuss problems and propose solutions on the HUMTAB forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12104-Help_us_m…

10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: This is NOT a Bed & Breakfast

Hello Rescue Team,

Thank you for your response. My purpose for the posting was two-fold.

Firstly I understand the objective of the forum and wanted to highlight to my peers of the difficulty and frustration that some (if not all of owners) are facing in getting effective support from TA. Going through some of the other forum postings/topics it would seem evident (to any reader) that many other owners are experiencing the same problem and, having to resort to using this forum to highlight their problems is indicative of the desperation they faced or are facing in getting effective support from TA.

Secondly, I wanted to bring to your attention that the advise you have been giving to the forum isn't working. It is almost impossible to get direct access (even via email) to TA support and when we do, it is just standard automated responses that tend to ignore the root problem. It was my hope that in highlighting this problem perhaps I could encourage you to raise the matter internally within your organisation to address it.

I'm sure that myself and many other owners embrace the whole principle of TA in providing a vehicle where independent reviews are available to help prospective travellers in making a decision as to their holiday destination and accommodation. This can only be good because hotel owners and operators must raise and maintain their standards to compete for business. However, this whole principle will come to disrepute if TA do things that directly affect an establishment's business e.g. by placing them in the wrong classification and not providing a swift and effective means to put it right.

Perhaps TA have grown too big? or maybe suffering other organisational / restructuring problems? However, there is a responsibility that TA have towards hotel owners and if they are not able to meet that responsibility then they should give owners the choice to have their listing removed.

I'd be interested to hear the views of other owners/operators.

10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: This is NOT a Bed & Breakfast

Thank you for your advice Country Wife. Will consider doing just that.

8. Re: This is NOT a Bed & Breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 05:19