We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal Attacks by Destination Experts

New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Topic

Sure TA takes them down when reported

day in and day out

Why does TA tolerate this?

day in and day out?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Personal Attacks by Destination Experts

Do you have any examples?

We experience these forums more frequently than most posters. Even if we are not posting, we are reading to see if there is anything that we can help with. I think this may cause some of us to get snappy on occasion. If there are "know-it-all" posters, we can get easily annoyed. We often have to deal with incorrect information being posted. We have to identify posts that are promotional or false, attempting to hurt someone's business or insult a location. There are also instances in which we are singled out an attacked, simply because of our title.

I am not saying that we are always right, because that would be a lie. It is just that sometimes there is more going on than what regular posters may think.

Us DEs are also only human. I am a 22 year old, sitting up working on my college thesis and taking time to come help out here when I can. We still feel obligated to post even when in a bad mood, potentially taking it out on someone who doesn't necessarily deserve it.

TA uses us as slave labor. We don't get paid or anything, yet we contribute a large amount of the information on this site. This is why TA has us here. They definitely try to make sure DEs will be diplomatic and always positive, but the rare oscar the grouch sneaks through sometimes.

Articulate your concern. Don't strike back, just report the post. TA is a good group of people who value all who use this site. I am sure they will be willing to help you out if you are in the right!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,142 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Personal Attacks by Destination Experts

Hi SavyUWS;

This forum, like all the forums on TripAdvisor, is member driven, peer-to-peer assistance. It is NOT a way of contacting TA staff. TripAdvisor staff will not about moderation on the forum as it is considered a private matter. You will need to contact TripAdvisor staff directly for an answer.

I would suggest visiting the Help Centre page "Someone who is a destination expert just called me a really nasty name. Can you do anything?" and use the "contact us" link in blue text to contact TripAdvisor directly.

tripadvisor.com/help/someone_who_is_a_destin…

Best Regards

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Personal Attacks by Destination Experts

Copy a few of the offending posts to a word processing document, save them, and post them here and to TA:

"If you think a forum has truly gotten out of hand and the "Report as inappropriate" links are not enough to communicate the problem, feel free to Contact us with a link to the thread you would like us to look in to"

www.tripadvisor.com/ContactUs…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Personal Attacks by Destination Experts

There is no need to post the words here. You don't want to start an online quarrel. Contact the DE first, be mature and try to resolve it among yourselves. It may have just been a simple miscommunication.

If that fails, contact TA in a similarly mature manner.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Personal Attacks by Destination Experts

I am not looking to start an online quarrel. If a destination expert is abusive enough to have his posts deleted day in and day out, TA may take more appropriate action if the DE is publicly named and shamed.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Personal Attacks by Destination Experts

Yes, posting examples here would violate our forums guidelines. SavyUWS, if you would like to report an issue to us, please use the contact link on the page to which RescueTeam referred you.

Thanks,

Dan