We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post removed

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,180 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Post removed

Who/how do I find out about why one of my posts was removed. Its actually very very strange. I started a thread. The thread topic was removed,, but they left the thread and closed it.. makes no sense at all!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,180 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post removed

Now I am quite peeved. Just noticed on April 11 another poster posted a post about side trip to Bath on the London forum and it was NOT deleted. I am really quite angry,, is there a nest of nasties in London forum?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,599 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post removed

Here is an important clue:

"This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed."

By the "TripAdvisor community", it means that a number of members - possible as few as two - flagged it as inappropriate. When that happens, the computer deletes it, automatically.

So, as far as who and why, good luck trying to figure that out. Only those you flagged it can tell you.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post removed

You can always ask TA to reinstate it. If they think it was wrongly deleted they will reinstate the post/s.

ian480.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,027 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post removed

Hi joan1;

This forum is primarily member driven, peer-to-peer assistance, and TripAdvisor staff will not answer your question on the forum, as moderation is considered a private matter. You will need to contact TripAdvisor staff directly for an answer.

I would suggest visiting the Help Centre page “Why was my forum post removed?” and use the “Contact Us” link in blue text to email TA staff directly.

tripadvisor.com/help/why_was_my_forum_post_r…

Best Regards

USA
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post removed

I spend a lot of time on the London forum and do not remember your post. Do not take the deletion as a personal affront and try again. If you mention that you are leaving from London, a post about Bath should be acceptable. If you are just looking for accommodation or a meal in Bath, the Bath forum would be a better place for you to post.

"Where can I get a cheap lunch in Bath?" is apt to be deleted from the London forum.

"Taking a day trip to Bath, where can I get a cheap lunch?" should be allowed on the London forum.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,344 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post removed

So hoogo, do you mean you all delete posts that are in the wrong sub-forum? To me that's rather drastic. When we have a poster who posts in the wrong forum, we just tell them to post it in the correct one. Never even considered trying to get it deleted. Then you go on to say if you word it differently you will get an answer? Am I not getting something or are you all very picky?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Post removed

msfuzz, I think the issue is, many posters try to post about practically everywhere in the UK (and elsewhere) just into in the London forum. If people weren't reasonably strict about the right forum, it soon would cease to be a London forum at all.

Joan, I very recently had one of my posts deleted (not in the London forum). It was a little 'strong' , but I don't think it should have been deleted. It hasn't ruined my day - don't let the deletion of yours do the same.

And FWIW I think "Taking a day trip to Bath, where can I get a cheap lunch?" *should not* be allowed on the London forum. Just "how do I get to bath" is OK. anything else about Bath, on the Bath forum please. Presumably Joan thats what the issue was with yours? ( Cant say I can remember it at all though )

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Post removed

... and I see Joan, that you are one of those people I mentioned who believe they can post about anything on the London forum? (looks like your post was reinstated).

When asked why you posted a question *purely* about Bath on the London forum your answer was "Because more people are on this one" followed by "but do you have an answer or are you peeved that I posted incorrectly?"

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,180 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Post removed

joe,, on the Paris forum we do not delete posts that say "is Versailles worth the visit". My post was, was "IS The Jane Austen Musuem in Bath worth a visit". Not too different,, but on each forum there are certainly personalities, and some people are more worried about the proper form then just being HELPFUL.

My opinion is is you can't help, stay off the thread.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Post removed

I agree, up to a point. For a simple query, it's often easier (for everyone) and more courteous to answer the question rather than redirect it. But I do think open-ended questions about attractions in other cities belong on those cities' forums.

Two reasons: one, it could end up being a long and valuable discussion, which will be helpful to have as part of the Bath forum's archives (while potentially being distracting to the London forum). Two, the Bath forum is supposed to be home to the experts on Bath, so if something has changed recently (e.g. they've closed for renovation, raised ticket prices, etc.) all you might get in the London forum would be "Went there a couple of years ago, it was great" while there's a better chance someone in the Bath forum will know the latest news.

Also, given how high-traffic the London forum is, an automatic removal could be triggered even if only a very small percentage of all readers actually reported the post. The system isn't perfect.