We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

# Reviews in Summary Different from # of Reviews Posted

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
# Reviews in Summary Different from # of Reviews Posted

I have a question about restaurant reviews.

I was looking at a restaurant profile. It said it had 13 reviews. On the graphical chart (showing # of reviews excellent, good, etc), it seemed to have 13 reviews. However, only 3 reviews of the restaurant were available for me to read.

I noticed this several weeks ago when doing some trip research and encountered numerous restaurants with this inconsistency. What's going on?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,138 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: # Reviews in Summary Different from # of Reviews Posted

Hi wintersummer;

Can you please post a link to the listing you're looking at ?

Best Regards

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: # Reviews in Summary Different from # of Reviews Posted

This seems to be happening with almost every single restaurant.

I was planning trip to Bowling Green Kentucky. To see what I'm talking about, please go to Bowling Green Restaurant Reviews, ranked by order of popularity.

Brickyard Cafe - Tripadvisor shows total of 24 ratings. Only 13 ratings appear. Unable to access average or terrible ratings.

Yuki - Tripadvisor shows total of 20 ratings. Only 13 ratings appear. Unable to access poor ratings.

Montanas - Tripadvisor shows total of 21 ratings. Only 10 ratings appear. Unable to access poor or terrible ratings.

I'm finding this same pattern in a lot of cases.....and just would like to be able to read all the reviews.

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: # Reviews in Summary Different from # of Reviews Posted

Just as another example, here's a restaurant close to where I live, where there's also this inconsistency:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g49021-d79…

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
4. Re: # Reviews in Summary Different from # of Reviews Posted

Hi wintersummer,

For restaurants, we also include ratings/reviews from our Facebook application, Local Picks. Reviewers using Local Picks can give a rating to a restaurant without reviewing it. This sounds like what you are seeing. Ratings-only don't count as much as a review in the overall score, but we do display these in the graphical chart.

Best,

Jeanine

Louisville, KY
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: # Reviews in Summary Different from # of Reviews Posted

Jeanine,

you all (TA) really might want to rethink that policy - including ratings/reviews from another source (Facebook) in the total count of reviews that you're offering the viewer.

at the least, it's a PITA to think you're going to browse a certain number of reviews, only to get less than half that many to see...at the worst, it borders on deception.

it'll come as a shocker, but not *everyone* messes with Facebook..

6. Re: # Reviews in Summary Different from # of Reviews Posted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 04:17