We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May an owner submit a review for another business?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
May an owner submit a review for another business?

To me, the guidelines are not clear as to whether an owner or other person employees by a listed business is allowed to submit any reviews here, or not.

There is this phrase in the guidelines: "Current or past employees or anyone associated or related to employees of an establishment listed on our site are not allowed to post reviews."

But it is under a headline that reads "Written by actual travelers " Well - an owner when traveling is an 'actual traveler,' no?

That phrase above is preceded by "Reviews written by ownership or management posing as guests will not be accepted" Which sounds to me like they are referring to fake reviews (when it says "posing as guests...") and not when they are actual guests in another hotel.

I just want to know the official intention is.

Thanks! :)

-Noah

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May an owner submit a review for another business?

Could anyone comment on this? I'm really curious.

Thanks!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,465 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May an owner submit a review for another business?

Hi Noah,

I always assumed that as an owner I understood that I could not review or criticize a competitor even when I was a paying guest (e.g., in someone else's restaurant in my town).

To be honest, I hadn't seen the first paragraph of the guidelines that you quote above. I always assumed that once I'm traveling, I'm a traveler like anyone else and can post reviews for any business listed on TA or request a listing (which I've done many times).

Let's see what TA has to say.

Cheers,

Silvia

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: May an owner submit a review for another business?

Hi Noah and Silvia,

Sorry this question slipped through the cracks. We recognize that owners also travel and when they do they are travelers like any other travelers, so we do allow owners to review other businesses. I agree that section of the review guidelines is a little confusing, so I've asked our reviews team to take a look at it and consider editing it to make it clearer.

Thanks,

Dan

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May an owner submit a review for another business?

Thank you for the clarification - i sincerely appreciate it.

So while in a forum - a person connected to a business may not make any critical comments about their competitors - but in a review they are allowed to present their opinion, assuming they meet all other criteria.

I think i understand now,

Thanks!

5. Re: May an owner submit a review for another business?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 05:15