We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't respond to PMs - need help

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,138 posts
Save Topic
Can't respond to PMs - need help

For some reason, out of the blue, even though I am signed in and able to receive private messages, I am unable to respond to them. When I try to send a reply I get an error saying no "userid" and (500) - what does that mean and how can I fix it? I've received a few messages that I would really like to reply to.

Please give me some advice.

Thank you,

Momcat

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't respond to PMs - need help

Hi MomCat1992,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble responding to PMs! I wanted to let you know that I'm looking into this for you. If anyone else is experiencing this problem and receiving this error message, please let us know by using the "Contact Us" link on the following page in our help center:

tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_send_a_private_m…

Thanks for your patience while we look into this!

TA_Louise

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't respond to PMs - need help

Thank you - I look forward to your response.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,138 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't respond to PMs - need help

I rec'd the private message and tried to respond but again after I hit "send" I got the message:

Thanks for trying. Here's the response I rec'd when I tried to respond to your private message on the website:

Sorry, an unexpected error has occurred. Please try again in a moment.: Missing userid (500)

That is all that comes up - hope that will be helpful.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't respond to PMs - need help

Hi MomCat1992,

Thank you for giving it another try. Our engineers are aware of this problem and have been working to fix it but, unfortunately, the problem is fairly complicated. Again, many apologies for this inconvenience and thanks for your understanding while we continue to work to resolve this!

Louise

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,138 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't respond to PMs - need help

Thank you again for your time on this problem. It is much appreciated.

Chicago
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't respond to PMs - need help

I get a red message telling me to refer to the guidelines. ???

Can't reply or send a new message. Same thing, "refer to guidelines"

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't respond to PMs - need help

Hi Sunandsand05,

It sounds like you may have inadvertently tripped our content filters which help prevent offensive content from reaching the inboxes of our members. Because certain words and phrases have a different meaning in a different language or context, they may have been used in an appropriate fashion, but blocked by the filter. Please scan the body of your message and see if you notice any words that may have another meaning. If you are unable to determine which word or phrase may be problematic, please email us directly using the contact link on the following page of our help center:

tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_send_a_private_m…

and we will be happy to look into it for you. If you are able to determine what word is likely causing the problem, please try and use another word with the same meaning.

Please feel free to contact us if we can help with this further.

Thanks!

TA_Louise

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,031 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't respond to PMs - need help

"Please scan the body of your message and see if you notice any words that may have another meaning."

Hi Sunandsand05;

Some example of common words that sometimes cause problems are...

a shortened version for a man name Richard, D*ck

another word for a donkey, a jack a**

I hope that helps.

Best Regards

9. Re: Can't respond to PMs - need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2010, 06:37