We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

I'm a frequent poster and contributor to Tripadvisor, with more than 100 reviews.

One of my reviews has been removed. Why? It's no different than any other hotel review, where I commented on both the negatives and the positives of the stay.

Any insight into why this might have happened?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,612 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

Hi there,

It is possible that the hotel changed ownership or brand, and requested removal of old reviews, or it may be that the moderation team believe it didn't comply with the review guidelines. There are other possibilities but I doubt that they'll apply to yours. The only way to find out is for you to contact the staff through this form:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/UserReviewSupport

Choose Status of My Review first, then Not Listed for your missing review.

Silvia

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

Expat-in-Cabarete,

Thanks for your response. Hotel in question was a Marriott, so I don't think it's changed hands. Reviews have been posted before and after my stay at this property.

I'm puzzled about removal of this review. Yes, I commented on two negatives (dining room not clean, rooms being somewhat small) - but I also commented on a positive (little impact during the big tattoo festival/convention going on at the property at the time).

Can a property request removal of a review? Maybe the Marriott didn't want potential guests to know about this big tattoo convention?

I attempt to contribute to Tripadvisor to add to the resources we all use to plan travels. I feel I've been a responsible reviewer. If reviews are removed, there's little reason for me to continue reviewing.

I've communicated with Tripadvisor but haven't heard back.

Edited: 03 August 2010, 12:58
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

Hi there

At the bottom of every review there is a link which says "Report Problem With Review", maybe someone had an objection to it for some reason. If that is the case, i think TA remove it to investigate the reason and then either keep it removed or re-instate it.

The Hotel has a right to submit a Management Response where both sides get to tell their side of the story.

If you have only just contacted TA regarding this (i.e. yesterday) then i would give it more time for a response, it is the hectic season now and i'm sure they are very busy.

CB

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,612 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

WinterSummer:

Yes, a property can request removal of a review by disputing it. In very rare cases, a hotel will succeed with a dispute though. As long as the review complies with the review guidelines, it is more likely to stay on.

Any chance you review the wrong Marriott? That's one reason for disputing a review, that it is attached to the wrong property. It happens. If you mentioned the tattoo conference and the Marriott you reviewed, for example, disputed it and submitted a link showing that conference was being held in another hotel.

You submitted your form already so you'll know for a fact what the reason was. I could take several days to get an answer.

Best,

Silvia

Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

Again, thanks for these suggestions. I reviewed the correct Marriott, because I've stayed there before and know it well.

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the tattoo festival. When we were checked in, the staff went out of their way to explain that extra security would be onsite during this event. We didn't even question that - the staff seemed to need to tell us about this group. My review said nothing other than something like we "were pleased that our stay was not adversely affected by the tattoo convention" - hey, that's a positive comment!

I'll just wait to see what Tripadvisor tells me......

Gilbert, Arizona
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

I have a feeling there is a system problem. Look at all the comments in the forum about reviews being removed for no reason or not showing up at all. May want to check and see if everything is operating properly. I tried to submit a question to TA but it wouldn't let me, it kept asking me for the reason for removal, which is not what I was trying to ask (I was trying to ask about why my review never showed up), In looking at the forums, many people are having the same issues.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,765 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

Hi wintersummer;

Until just recently, you could only review an accommodation once. If you submitted a second review of the same place, the older review would be replaced by the newer review.

Could it be that the review that has been deleted was replaced by a newer review that you submitted ?

Best Regards

Edited: 04 August 2010, 03:29
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
741 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

Just wanted to note that one of my Hotel reviews that had stood for three months also got pulled. I did get the explanation email but the reasons seemed flimsy to say the least. I felt it was one of my skilfully written reviews! Some of my massacres of language, taste and decency get approved with no problem at all.

I'm not bothered - It's their site, they can manage it how they please, but it does give an image of impetuosity rather than measured improvement.

I was not looking for comment, I just wanted to show some degree of empathy with the OP.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

I too have had a problem with the forum today. My review has now been removed twice, I amended it once and then re-posted. My 'new' review has been up for a week now but today it has disappeared. I tried to submit a query but have the same problem with the drop-down menu. I have received no email advising that my post has been removed (unlike last time). I also note that a review my mother posted has not yet appeared. She wrote it on Sunday and received the verification email yesterday but no sign of it yet. My family had a terrible experience with a B & B and 5 of us have posted comments, 3 of which the management have disputed and now reviews are disappearing. Hmmm....!

Edited: 04 August 2010, 13:18
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One of My Reviews Has Been Removed - Why?

OP here - still no word from Tripadvisor.

Thanks for all the suggestions/support. This was my first time reviewing this property. My last stays were back in the mid-90's - before I started reviewing.

When a review is removed, do you get notified? I would like this review to be posted. We had terrible service - just terrible service - in the restaurant - so bad we walked out. I like to share the positives and negatives with travelers. That's the wonder of Tripadvisor. But, if reviews are pulled because we share negatives, I don't get it.